Cubase LE with control surface or ProTools LE

Cubase LE or ProTools LE?

• Cubase LE with (already owned) Yamaha AW16G as Control Surface and new Yamaha MW10 as USB mixer?

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • New 2-channel DigiDesign mBox mini with ProTools LE only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

homestudioguy

First, let me say that I have not yet taken the plunge to record via computer but am thinking about getting my feet wet.
I have a Yamaha AW16G tabletop DAW that has the software template to control Cubase LE (among a few others, not ProTools).
I have a Compaq Laptop running XP Home that has a Pentium M processor at 1.7 Ghz with 502 MB RAM with a 15.4 video screen and a SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio Card with 4 USB Ports and 1 FireWire Port
I can purchase a Yamaha MW12 12 input USB Mixer for $265ish that records 2 tracks at a time that includes Cubase LE and Yamaha's Virtual Studio Suite (see below)
or
I can spend the same amount and get a 2-channel DigiDesign Mbox2 Mini with ProTools LE
with a ton of plug-ins http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=114&itemid=4962
but will have no control surface.
Any suggestions/recommendations?

Cubase LE
48 audio and 64 MIDI tracks
24-bit, 96kHz operation
VST plug-ins and full VSTi support
PC/Mac

Yamaha's Virtual Studio Suite:
IK Multimedia Sample Tank SY
IK Multimedia Sonic Synth SY
IK Multimedia Amplitube LE
IK Multimedia T Racks EQ
Over $400 worth of rebate coupons for additional software from Steignberg, IK Multimedia, and Arturia

I'd wait and get a computer that can handle recording better. The P4 1.7 with 512RAM is the minimum you want to use for multi channel tracking. You should wait until around February when the quad processors come out. That will drop the dual core prices alot and then you can score one of them at a good price. Get 1 or 2 gigs of RAM and a decent soundcard like a LynxTwo C
http://www.lynxstudio.com/lynxtwo.html

As much as I enjoy my Pro Tools, I'm not sure its your best value. In fact I'm almost positive Cubase is your best value.

A) Some hardware that will work with it.
B) You can upgrade your hardware later if you want and it will grow with you.
C) The plugs that come with PTLE aren't all that great (with a few exceptions) and,
D) There are TONS of good, free VST effects for Cubase.
E) Cubase LE has marginally more functionality than PTLE, 48 tracks instead of 32, though your computer won't let you use the full capacity of either program. (Item B applies here, too.)

I switched from analog to digital ages ago with a Tascam US-428 because I wanted a control surface. It's a little clunky mixing that way, but not nearly as clunky as a mouse! Especially at first. I really appreciated the hands on control, though it wasn't really all that similar to an analog board. So much so that when I bought into Pro Tools I got the 002 with control surface. I love it.

As time wore on and I got more involved with digital recording and mixing I found myself going to the mouse much more. It pays to get good at it- but I still have the control surface for level changes and fine tuning plug settings. Nothing like having your hands on the faders with your eyes closed and just... listening... as you shift the balances until the song pops out at you. Hard to do that with a mouse one track at a time.

NYMorningstar said:
I'd wait and get a computer that can handle recording better. The P4 1.7 with 512RAM is the minimum you want to use for multi channel tracking. You should wait until around February when the quad processors come out. That will drop the dual core prices alot and then you can score one of them at a good price. Get 1 or 2 gigs of RAM and a decent soundcard like a LynxTwo C
http://www.lynxstudio.com/lynxtwo.html
I appreciate your comments. Thanks.
I know a better computer would be necessary for bigger scale stuff. I would only use this computer just to get started and get a feel for how it works.
What think ye?

The 1.7 will be fine. I started digital recording on a P3 800 laptop. I got 12 or so tracks out of it with all the plugs I needed. That was with Cubase VST 5. The latest version of LE is going to soak up more resources, but the 1.7 should give you a decent taste.

Watch out for the reverb plugs that come with both PT and Cubase. They kinda suck. You'll wonder how anyone could use them once you get over how convenient they are. They have few useable sounds, but they take some tweaking. If you go the Cubase route hunt down some of the free VST reverb plugs out there. Much better.

Chris Shaeffer said:
The 1.7 will be fine. I started digital recording on a P3 800 laptop. I got 12 or so tracks out of it with all the plugs I needed. That was with Cubase VST 5. The latest version of LE is going to soak up more resources, but the 1.7 should give you a decent taste.

Watch out for the reverb plugs that come with both PT and Cubase. They kinda suck. You'll wonder how anyone could use them once you get over how convenient they are. They have few useable sounds, but they take some tweaking. If you go the Cubase route hunt down some of the free VST reverb plugs out there. Much better.
Thank, Chris!

Back