CUBASE LE 5 and VST instruments

Manor Music

I have tried downloading VST instruments like drums and synthesizes into my Cubase LE 5,
inserting the files into the folder that holds all of the stock VST files
but "no go" on the drums and synth programs...

How would you go about opening up a virtual instrument like the drums or synth,
assuming it was installed correctly?

Does the fact that I own a "LE" version mean anything?

Also
if anyone has some particular virtual instruments that work well for them
I'd like to know what they are...

Have you explored HALION1 fully yet? :guitar: (it's well cool!) all the installation instructions are in the manual which came(& are installed with the prog),, hold your mouse on the help button,& you can gain access to the manual there!

Open Devices>VST Instruments. A window should pop up. Click in the first instrument slot, then choose your VSTi.

Then create a midi track and select the VSTi as the input device.

There is something about LE5 and VSTi's, but can't remembe what it is. It might be that LE5 doesn't do Instrument Tracks.

If this doesn't work for you, post up some screenshots and let us help. There are some guys here who are very good with Cubase.

I'm not sure what happened to my earlier post here...

LE5 does not have 'VST Instruments Rack (F11)'. You can only create a 'Instrument track', and have one instance of a VSTi, with one stereo output, per track. In other words, the VSTi's are limited to the host program's control, with a stereo output.

For instance; With a full version of Cubase, you can select a separate output track for 8 channels of drums from EZ Drummer, while only using one instance of EZD.

With LE5, you get only the stereo out, per instrument track.

I think that made sense....

VST instruments

Hi all,

I am new to cubase and having a lot of difficulty getting things to work, this program is evil. I'll start with the VST instruments: I don't seem to have any!! When I click 'devices' there is no 'VST instruments' to select, I have 'VST connections' and 'VST performance'. I want to make drum sounds with my keyboard. Can somebody help me with this? I'm using a Tascam US-200 firebox to input guitars and mic, etc.

Also, what does BUS stand for, and VST?

Thanks for the help.

Hi all,

I am new to cubase and having a lot of difficulty getting things to work, this program is evil. I'll start with the VST instruments: I don't seem to have any!! When I click 'devices' there is no 'VST instruments' to select, I have 'VST connections' and 'VST performance'. I want to make drum sounds with my keyboard. Can somebody help me with this? I'm using a Tascam US-200 firebox to input guitars and mic, etc.

Also, what does BUS stand for, and VST?

Thanks for the help.

First off, welcome to the forum Venz. There are no wrong questions here, though there is a good and a bad forum to place them. You just posted in another guys thread, asking a completely different problem. That would be called 'jacking' a thread.

That being said, I can move your post to a new thread where you will get more input.

By the way, Cubase is not 'evil'. You just need to learn how to use it. Many members here will help.

What version of Cubase are you using?

Create a new track. Instrument track. Then select whatever cracked drum program you have. lol!

Watch Youtube tutorials on the basics first. :)

Last edited:
Open Devices>VST Instruments. A window should pop up. Click in the first instrument slot, then choose your VSTi.

Then create a midi track and select the VSTi as the input device.

There is something about LE5 and VSTi's, but can't remembe what it is. It might be that LE5 doesn't do Instrument Tracks.

If this doesn't work for you, post up some screenshots and let us help. There are some guys here who are very good with Cubase.

I have Cubase LE 6, and my OS is Mac 10.6.8. When I go to Devices, there's no VST Instruments option!! Only VST Connections and VST Performance. Hence, I can't create a midi track with any VSTi.

Any suggestions?! All I want to do is create a click track (drum track) that can be exported with recorded audio!

I have Cubase LE 6, and my OS is Mac 10.6.8. When I go to Devices, there's no VST Instruments option!! Only VST Connections and VST Performance. Hence, I can't create a midi track with any VSTi.

Any suggestions?! All I want to do is create a click track (drum track) that can be exported with recorded audio!

LE versions of Cubase do not have the 'Instrument Rack'. That only really means you can't use all of a VSTi's outputs.

You can still create a midi track. This is from memory as to how to do it on LE5:

Project>Add Track>Instrument. Choose an instrument. If you don't have a third party drum program, then select HalionOne. You can create a drum/click track with that. LE 6 may have a different version of Halion, but either way, you can do it.

After loading it, select a preset with drums listed. Then select the pencil tool and draw an event for the midi track. Double clicking on the event will take you to the piano roll editor. You can change this default to drum editor in preferences. Otherwise, MIDI>Open Drum Editor.

Go to town figuring that all out. :)

If you do use HalionOne, you need to click on the little circle like thing at the top middle area and then on the drop down click on load preset. Then you will get another drop down with a list of instruments, rock drums is one of them. then give it a second to load the settings and close it or move it out of the way. It took me a while to figure out where to find that little button - small circle on the HalionOne front panel to load presets.

hi i am stoddart i am having a problem with cubase le5 i have ni kontakt and other imporant vst instruments on my laptop but cubase not scanning them can you help me

hi i am stoddart i am having a problem with cubase le5 i have ni kontakt and other imporant vst instruments on my laptop but cubase not scanning them can you help me

Possibly. If you can return to edit your question to have at least a beginning and end. Maybe some sort of punctuation???

Bot botty bot bot...

Unusual from Spain. Do you not create sentences over there?

Back