Cubase fades on midi

Clarence222

How does one go about creating fades on midi instruments (vsti) much like with dragging the ears on audio WAVs.

I can automate but this is more cumbersome.

Any work around?

Last edited:
Controllers. Depending on how they respond, in the edit screen below the notes is a display that shows usually velocity for each note. You can change this to display pan, volume, expression, pitchbend etc, and if you use the pen tool, you can draw in fade ins and outs and I tend to use expression normally, but controller 7 volume if expression does something different. Some of them will also move the faders.

Automation is best practice in my opinion. Just hit W on the track and move the volume. It will then bring up the automation, just pencil it in exactly how you want.

Yeah I was thinking of automating but don't really like to use it. Even when automating a vocal I prefer just to creating gain automation on the WAVs. This way I can always change the overall volume easily after. Bit off topic but I read somewhere that gain automation is actually more effient than volume automation...?

It's important to understand that you can't do a fade in or out on MIDI materials, it just doesn't make sense, MIDI is not audio. Usually, you can modify a MIDI CC that controls some parameters of the virtual instrument (output volume in this case). This is not an automation; these are MIDI data (as notes are). The automation can be done on the audio output of the virtual instrument. Anyway, my suggestion would be: do rough automation on the audio output of the VSTi while producing. When you're ready to mix disable the automation, export/render the audio and do the definitive fades directly on the audio events. This way, it becomes much easier to control everything with great precision...

Back