Cubase Elements 10 or Cubase Artist 6.5 ?? (or Artist 8 or 9 ?)

easybullet3

Hi,

I have a choice to buy (2nd hand) Cubase Elements 10 or Cubase Artist 6.5 (for home recording).
But I notice (from steinberg website) Elements 10 is THREE TIMES CHEAPER than Artist 10. (which, to me, means it must be EXTREMELY stripped down).
So, with that in mind, is the Artist 6.5 a good contender to Elements 10 ?

Many people seem to like version 6.5 because they like the GUI (interface) and its fast, lite and does the job well. and most people seem to like the layout of 6.5.

I am a windows 7 user. (not intending to get Win 10)
Desktop computer is not bad.. (i7 cpu, 12gb ram, ssd hard drive and recent graphics card).

I am doing Home Recording (vocal, guitar, keyboard) and dont want to spend unnecessary time clicking buttons and checking boxes; but on the other hand I do want to have a good amount of plug-in's and effects, eq's compressors etc.
ie: I want the final sound to be decent; But I dont want the process to be tedious.

Would you recommend I get the version "6.5 ARTIST" or do you think I should get "10 ELEMENTS" ?

Or, do you think maybe I should hunt online for a well priced 8 or 9 Artist instead ?
I would prefer to have 10 Artist, (but its above my budget).

Are there loads more effects/plug-ins and features on 10 Elements that are worth the problems of 'high CPU usage' and other problems ?

I really would love to know the opinions from experienced users.
I dont want to spend weeks and weeks learning how to use over-complicated software.
I am computer savvy, but also I dont want to waste unnecessary time.

or, do you think there is a more suitable version of Cubase that I should search for online ?

Thank you VERY MUCH for any help that you can give me ;)

I use Pro 10, my colleague is on artist 10 - for emergencies I have elements 9.5 on this laptop. The major features are pretty consistent across them all. I find it annoying to find the missing ones, and mostly they're small things, but it does mean I can load his because they are all simple, but mine will have lots of features being used he cannot. Things like VCA faders, which I now use a lot. You don't need them, they're just nice to have - but the other thing of of course is the range and quantity of processing and synth/sample sounds. These seem very variable in the different versions and as you pay more, you get more.

If you are not certain Cubase will work for you, I see the sense in buying the cheap ones, as long as you can get them re-registered to you. Never certain with Steinberg. Their dongle and non-dongle security with the software control of it can cause problems even with the same name user! My main computer had one of the cheap versions on it, and that's now on my Mac, yet the other computer repeatedly checks and insists there is a problem with the licence - just annoying. Re-registering a new name makes me wonder how well it will work. If you know Cubase is for you - buy the latest version you can afford, because what comes with it is very, very useful. Most Cubase updates appear on the surface superficial, but once you have used them, going back is not nice. I've been using Cubase since 1994, in black and white on an Atari 530, and I've only just discovered a feature it has had for years, and feels very stupid that my crazy work around for problem in some of my projects was solved by one little button click rather than my convoluted process. The point being that the full versions of Cubase are VERY clever, but complex - and starting on a simpler one and moving up is not. a bad move - if you have limited funds. I would check with Steinberg on the transfer of licences between people though. Not good if you install it and you have to pretend to be a different person for ever, just to make it work. Check the e-licenser situation.

I use Pro 10, my colleague is on artist 10 - for emergencies I have elements 9.5 on this laptop. The major features are pretty consistent across them all. I find it annoying to find the missing ones, and mostly they're small things, but it does mean I can load his because they are all simple, but mine will have lots of features being used he cannot. Things like VCA faders, which I now use a lot. You don't need them, they're just nice to have - but the other thing of of course is the range and quantity of processing and synth/sample sounds. These seem very variable in the different versions and as you pay more, you get more.

If you are not certain Cubase will work for you, I see the sense in buying the cheap ones, as long as you can get them re-registered to you. Never certain with Steinberg. Their dongle and non-dongle security with the software control of it can cause problems even with the same name user! My main computer had one of the cheap versions on it, and that's now on my Mac, yet the other computer repeatedly checks and insists there is a problem with the licence - just annoying. Re-registering a new name makes me wonder how well it will work. If you know Cubase is for you - buy the latest version you can afford, because what comes with it is very, very useful. Most Cubase updates appear on the surface superficial, but once you have used them, going back is not nice. I've been using Cubase since 1994, in black and white on an Atari 530, and I've only just discovered a feature it has had for years, and feels very stupid that my crazy work around for problem in some of my projects was solved by one little button click rather than my convoluted process. The point being that the full versions of Cubase are VERY clever, but complex - and starting on a simpler one and moving up is not. a bad move - if you have limited funds. I would check with Steinberg on the transfer of licences between people though. Not good if you install it and you have to pretend to be a different person for ever, just to make it work. Check the e-licenser situation.

Thank you very much.
That was very informative ;)

Cubase 10 is also fully 64-bit plugins. Cubase 6 still allows 32-bit plugs. Just something to think about. Pretty sure most of the stock Cubase 6 VST's may be 32-bit. That seems around the time VST3 came around... I could be wrong but something you should be aware of.

Most any decent software (even free VST's) are 64-bit now so...

Have you worked with Cubase before? I ask because it works for some, and not so much for others. It just depends on how it 'feels' for you.

If you have tried Cubase and are happy, I agree that you should go with the newer version.

Then there is that licensing crap...

Are you in school? Know anyone in school? Educational versions are discounted heavily. Upgrade from ed versions I do not believe have the same discount moving up, but a good way to learn.

It's $180 to upgrade from artist 6 and above to artist 10.

It's $199 to upgrade from any version of elements to artist 10.

It's $330 to upgrade from artist 6 and above to the full C10

It's $450 to upgade from elements to the full version of C10.

If you want to upgrade down the road, snag artist. Not only that but if I was willing to guess, artist 6 is still going to be more capable than elements 10.

Back