cubase to cool edit = problems

dobro

This question's been making the rounds, looking for a home and an answer. Didn't find any joy in either the Cool Edit or Midi Forums, so let's try Cubase. Drstawl's tried the same procedure with Cakewalk, and it works, so is Cubase the culprit?

"I mix my midi and audio tracks in cubase, and then record them with cool edit (which
makes a wave file). I know I can record the midi tracks in cubase and transform them
into audio files, but when I do that I lose sound quality. I'm probably screwing up
somewhere along the line, but that's how I use cool edit."

Any takers?

Howzit Dobro,

I'm the one who originally asked this question about mixing in cubase and then recording with cool edit to make the wave file to burn on a CD. I just wanted to clarify what I meant about losing sound quality. After recording with Cool Edit, the sound just isn't quite as crisp as before. It doesnt seem to have the brightness it had before it was recorded. However, it sounds a LOT better than if I had recorded the midi tracks inside Cubase to create the wave files (when I tried that the sound came out far away and boomy). I'm looking for maybe a better way to accomplish what I ultimately want to do - put my final mix on a CD. By the way, I'm recording through a Roland UA100 using a Roland SC8850 sound module.

[This message has been edited by lkmuller (edited 03-02-2000).]

Okay, we've got this topic in three different forums. Did you see drstawl's response in the midi forum? He does what you do, only with Cakewalk rather than Cubase, and succeeds - he puts his music on CDs, and it sounds really good. So is Cubase the problem, or is it something else?

Hello Dobro,

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help with this. You know what? I think my problem might be in the settings I'm using to record the midi files in Cubase. The record levels could be too low on the Roland UA100, but I won't be able to tell until a little later when the wife isn't home. (we compete for sound waves at my house - mine are for recording, hers are for the boob tube - and I'm smart enough not be boneheaded about it) So I'll try it later and post the results. Thanks again! Aloha from Hawaii.

Oh Yes!!!

Okay, the problem was in the record levels in the UA100. I raised the levels and now everything is coming through clear as a bell! So the problem wasn't with Cubase or Cool Edit, it was with my limited cranial capacity, I guess. Well, I never said I was smart. Anyway - One thing maybe someone can figure out....I've been trying but haven't been able to; nor have I been able to find a support site (including Roland's) that could help me. When I record using the line input of my Roland UA100, the sound comes out in MONO, even when the stuff I recorded was in stereo. What's with that? Thanks again, Dobro, you're a good guy.

Back