Cubase...Acedemic vs. Retail

dastrick

huh???
What are the differences between the acedemic versions and retail versions?

Upgrades, customer support, etc???

Its funny you should mention that, I had the same question when I was buying Cubase Studio 4 last month.

Basically - there is no difference. Both are full versions of the software, both offer the same support. The only difference is if you are a student the 'education' version is the best part of £130 cheaper. Which is ace :). Every retailer I contacted about this said the same thing. I wanted to make sure i wasnt being screwed over. The only difference I can see is in the licence control centre it says "Cubase Studio 4 (Education)" and you get some flyer about training young people to be sound engineers in the box with the software.

Take advantage of the education licences while you can I say. Its a big amount of money your saving.

future upgrades?

I read somewhere that I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the discounted prices on future upgrades with an educational version. That was my main concern.

I read somewhere that I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the discounted prices on future upgrades with an educational version. That was my main concern.

There are various methods of upgrading the software. Steinberg will charge you to upgrade to other bits of software, and have a ladder system. For example the upgrade between the retail versions of cubase studio 4 and cubase 4 is lower than the upgrade between studio 4 education and cubase 4 retail.

Thats my understanding anyway.

IIRC the ua also has some fine print thaty says ya cant use the student version to "publish" or something to that effect... not sure how they would know... but there it is...

I've looked on the Steinberg website, but there is not much information about the acedemic version. I'm sure that there are some drawbacks to using it, but I just don't know for sure what they are. If I can't upgrade later, then I'm not sure if the price is worth it.

I think I'm going to pay the extra $25 and upgrade Cubase LE to Cubase Essential 4 instead of buying the acedemic version. Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know I'm cheap.

Call to Steinberg

I called Steinberg today and here's what the guy told me.

The acedemic version is IDENTICAL to the retail version. Upgrades are the same, all features are the same, and you can "publish" and/or use it to make money. There are no restrictions with the acedemic version. :D:D

I called Steinberg today and here's what the guy told me.

The acedemic version is IDENTICAL to the retail version. Upgrades are the same, all features are the same, and you can "publish" and/or use it to make money. There are no restrictions with the acedemic version. :D:D

good to know thnx for the update....

Back