Cubase 10.5 Pro

rmcall

A few months ago, I switched from Logic Pro X (Mac) to Cubase 10 Pro PC. I have a very beefy brand new PC with 64 GB of memory, plenty of processing power and all SS drives, and yet I have almost constant problems with Cubase crashing. To avoid a lengthy question, I will pose just 2 of the many things that seem to consistently crash the system.

1) When I am done with a session, and want to shut down, I click the X in the top right corner. This shuts off the Cubase screens, and most of the open plugins, but leaves the white bar across the top. When I go to click the X again to shut off the program entirely, the Windows spinning blue circle indicating it is still processing keeps me from doing so. So I give it time by doing something else and coming back to it. I have come back as much as an hour later and its still spinning. The only way I can shut off Cubase is cntrl alt delete. I have tried alternate methods of shutting down, i.e., file, close session etc. and all produce the same results.

2) When I render a midi track in place (most of the time that in and of itself crashes the program), but 50% of the time when it doesn't, and it renders successfully, if I then want to shut off the plug in to save processing power and select no VST as an option from the dropdown box, it crashes 100% of the time.

Cubase tech support simply said trash the preferences, which I did. Took me the better part of an afternoon to fix the problems that created and it resolved nothing. They copied a couple of reports and said they would ask someone higher up the chain, and that's the last I heard from them. Its been over a week ago.

I no longer have the option of going back to Logic, but Cubase has been a nightmare... a typical session is 3-5 crashes. Anyone have any suggestions? (jumping out of the window is not an option)
R

I don't have those problems which makes me think it's outside of cubase. There is on my system, a short delay before that cubase white bar at the top closes down. As you say, clicking point he project window X shuts that screen down, but leaves Cubase running. I've not had a crash of any kind. Pain as it is, I'd uninstall Cubase and start again - I often wonder if strange things are actually the elicenser. Over the years this has been the cause of many problems and I always update the thing regularly. If you've not run it recently, I'd do this before starting cubase and see if it updates itself, that for me has always been a cure for silly problems.

I regularly work with 40-50 track projects and have never rendered a MIDI track in my life, in fact, I'd have to search to discover where the command is in which menu. If you are having to do this is something else being troublesome? RAM or drive speed, that kind off thing?

Yeah man, I agree with Rob. There is something either with your system, or maybe a corrupted install of Cubase. That is not normal behavior for Cubase.

Try updating the elicenser and reinstalling Cubase.

I am curious why 'trashing preferences' took a long time to recover from? That should only reset to default settings. Not a long ordeal unless you had made a bunch of settings changes or macros that you needed to replace. That does not seem the case if you are having so much trouble just closing Cubase.

On another note, I did have issues once with a home build 'beefy' PC that would not perform well with my interface drivers or Cubase. It was in the end, the brand new ASROCK Extreme 4 motherboard just sucked for audio recording. An older ASUS B85m-G Mobo solved the problems.

Back