CPU overload after plugging in interface

pizzapizza

My issue at the moment is when I have my interface plugged in; even with an empty project I get a CPU overload error when trying to playback(nothing in the project to playback with the interface on highest latency) If I unplug the interface I can use whatever features I'd like without an issue.

I'm running Cubase 10.5 Elements on Windows 10. The interface on the other hand is probably 10 years old (Tascam US144). With that said, I've got it running in compatibility with Windows 7, along with the newest firmware available for that interface.

Is there something I'm missing(not a novice to DAW, but I've been away from it for awhile), or is it possible that I just need to get a new interface?

If you have the interface plugged in without Cubase running and the interface selected for input and output in the Control Panel audio/sound settings, do you get the overload problem when playing audio from something like YouTube, or even an MP3 on the computer? Or is it just apparent with Cubase?

Wow, I’m slightly embarrassed that I didn’t think to try that. It will not cleanly play audio(YouTube or mp3) with the interface plugged in. Thank you!

Last edited:
I have been fighting this same issue for over a year, I get the CPU overload pop up all the time. I have started keeping task manager open on another screen and watch all 8 cores of the CPU, when the problem happens my CPU reading never goes above 20 percent so my actual CPU is not spiking.

I 1st upgraded from Cuebase 8 to 8.5.
I upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10
I upgraded my CPU fro a i3 dual core to a i7 quad core
I upgraded the RAM from 20 to 32 GIGs.

None of this helped. I can have Cuebase open with 1 Mic assigned in monitor mode with no plugins assigned ant I get the CPU error. Tech support was no help. I can play you tube videos all night with no problem. The problem seems only to happen within Cuebase. I also removed the 824 and installed a Focusrite 2i2 interface for troubleshooting and had the same problem. So I have changed every variable I can think of, OS, Cuebase version, CPU, and interface and the only constant is the problem. I am giving up and going to Pro Tools.

Last edited:
Try Reaper first. Firstly, it won't cost you as much as PT if it doesn't work. Secondly it has very low CPU usage. Thirdly, it is a powerful and versatile DAW.

Try Reaper first. Firstly, it won't cost you as much as PT if it doesn't work. Secondly it has very low CPU usage. Thirdly, it is a powerful and versatile DAW.

So I already had Reaper installed and licensed, it does the same thing with Reaper...SMH

What motherboard are you using? I had an issue with my last computer build with a ASUS Extreme 4 MOBO. It just would not play nice with my 824's. Ended up changing it out with a ASUS B85M. Never an issue since.

Only reason I got from computer tech was it had something to do with the chipset and USB controller or something...

Maybe at least try doing a BIOS update.

I also just switched from W7 to W10. Still no issues.

What motherboard are you using? I had an issue with my last computer build with a ASUS Extreme 4 MOBO. It just would not play nice with my 824's. Ended up changing it out with a ASUS B85M. Never an issue since.

Only reason I got from computer tech was it had something to do with the chipset and USB controller or something...

Maybe at least try doing a BIOS update.

I also just switched from W7 to W10. Still no issues.

The Motherboard is a H97M-E, I am selling my 824 and going with a18i20. . Thanks

The 824 is somehow proprietary to cuebase. The outputs are controlled by the DSP program even if the computer is not on i still get audio out of all outputs. When you open cuebase it disables the DSP GUI. I have fought this long enough. Im going to Pro Tools. I hate it but I cant trust cuebase any more.

The 824 is somehow proprietary to cuebase. The outputs are controlled by the DSP program even if the computer is not on i still get audio out of all outputs. When you open cuebase it disables the DSP GUI. I have fought this long enough. Im going to Pro Tools. I hate it but I cant trust cuebase any more.

How you can be sure the same thing will not occur with PT? Note that you tried Reaper and the same thing occurred.

Dude. You are about to go down a rabbit hole...

The only thing you haven't fixed, is your computer. I bet you money you are about to fuck yourself again because the is an issue with your hardware/mobo configuration...

Thought you used to listen to me...

:(

And the fact that the 824 is somehow connected to Cubase, has nothing to do with it's ability to work with your PC. You are barking up the wrong tree man.

Prepare for another letdown if you don't listen to what I have asked you.

You fixed everything but the MOBO. Did you even try a BIOS Update like I suggested? And everything still don't work right? So go spend some more money and change software and interface. Makes no sense dood.

Dude. You are about to go down a rabbit hole...

The only thing you haven't fixed, is your computer. I bet you money you are about to fuck yourself again because the is an issue with your hardware/mobo configuration...

Thought you used to listen to me...

:(

Oh I listened! lol. I have tried every update under the sun, I have a 2i2 interface as a spare, I removed the 824 and all related drivers, I installed the 2i2 with Pro Tools and Reaper and they both worked fine, granted it is not the 18i20 but it worked

And the fact that the 824 is somehow connected to Cubase, has nothing to do with it's ability to work with your PC. You are barking up the wrong tree man.

Prepare for another letdown if you don't listen to what I have asked you.

You fixed everything but the MOBO. Did you even try a BIOS Update like I suggested? And everything still don't work right? So go spend some more money and change software and interface. Makes no sense dood.

Ok, update, I installed the 18i20, have been running Cuebase for about 2 hours now with no CPU error popup, I dont know if it is fixed but before with the 824 I was getting the error every couple of minutes.

Ok, update, I installed the 18i20, have been running Cuebase for about 2 hours now with no CPU error popup, I dont know if it is fixed but before with the 824 I was getting the error every couple of minutes.

Nice!

I'd buy that 824 off you, but I rarely need more than 16 tracks.

Nice!

I'd buy that 824 off you, but I rarely need more than 16 tracks.

Shortly after my update, the dragon reared its ugly head again. Sooooooooo I went to Pro Tools with the new interface and it runs awesome, CPU runs about 25 percent while tracking with a buffer of 256, on mixdown I switch the buffer to 1024 and my CPU runs about 18 percent. It seems to be a issue with Cuebase. I tracked/mixed for about 16 hours with no issues. Hell Yeah! Thank GOD! Thanks everyone!

Back