Could a Cubase file be sent out for Mastering?

inmyheartx

I know a Pro Tools file can, I'm really new to a lot of this, but can it? I'm going to record my friends band and they want to get it send out to be mastered, just asking before I do anything. Thank you all for reading this newbie post, haha.

Take care,
Adam.

Mixing is not the same as Mastering - Mastering generally deals with a final 2-ch. (or surround) mix.... a mastering house wouldn't need or use a Cubase project file - they work with final mixes...

Mixing involves blending all the tracks together to form a final mix....

Generally a mastering engineer will want a stereo file, not the multitrack session file. Just bounce your mix to a stereo interleaved WAV or AIFF file and give that to the mastering engineer.

mastering

Ya, you want to bounce the mix to a stereo .Wav file. If your mix is in a high bit rate like 24 bit 48k, bounce it to the highest bit rate you have your session in. A lot of mastering engineers like to have high bit rates so they have more options. And make sure you don't compress the mix on the master fader. It's O.K. to compress individual tracks like vocals and instruments, just don't compress the whole mix, the mastering engineer will do that.

And send two CDs, one in DATA format and one in AUDIO CD format.

BeatsBuY said:
Ya, you want to bounce the mix to a stereo .Wav file. If your mix is in a high bit rate like 24 bit 48k, bounce it to the highest bit rate you have your session in. A lot of mastering engineers like to have high bit rates so they have more options. And make sure you don't compress the mix on the master fader.
Just a correction - you're mis-using the term "bit rate" when you mean "bit depth" or "word size"............. bit rate references the number of bits per second used in audio/video compression such as MP3s and MPEGs........

Send them a 2 track bounce, but keep the sample rate and bit depth the same as your session. Write the disk as a data disk instead of burning an audio CD.

Mastering houses have super high quality converters that will convert your bounce to a 44.1/16 bit file after the engineer is done with his/her editing.

Back