Which computer for VST?

VintageB3

You guys must know what's best to use with VST.

Will a P2 with UDMA66 drive work well??

How much on board memory should I use?

I have 64meg dram at present...

Please advise

TIA

mark

I may be wrong but I think the question you should be asking is "which computer for my SOUNDCARD?"
I dunno but my pII 128 meg (intel) works fine with VST but more importantly runs my soundcard (LAYLA)
I think vst will
run on almost ANY ibm.... Its up to your system resources (ram,mhz,hard drive speed, etc) as to how many tracks/effects you can have going at once.
With my rig, I have 20 tracks of audio (No midi) with lots of effects and EQ going right now on a particular song and my system performance meter claims I am at about 50% of available cpu resources. PII 450.
good luck
p.s. wanna buy a Layla?

[This message has been edited by rj (edited 09-20-1999).]

<<I may be wrong but I think the question you should be asking is "which computer for my SOUNDCARD?">>

Hmmm.....yes I suppose I should have asked that :)

Slight update on the puter front.....

I'm awaiting delivery of a Intel P3 450 chip and udma motherboard and 13.5 gig udma drive.

Access speed of the drive is 9ms...and spindle speed is 7200rpm....

I believe that this should be good enough for audio stuff.......I'm a correct?

<<I dunno but my pII 128 meg (intel) works fine with VST but more importantly runs my
soundcard (LAYLA)I think vst will run on almost ANY ibm....Its up to your system resources (ram,mhz,hard drive speed, etc) as to how many tracks/effects you can have going at once.>>

This makes me think I will need more then 64meg......But will I be able to get some sort of use as is???

<<With my rig, I have 20 tracks of audio (No midi) with lots of effects and EQ going right now on a particular song and my system performance meter claims I am at about 50% of available cpu resources. PII 450. good luck.>>

Wow....that would do me! :)

<<p.s. wanna buy a Layla?>>

I have a SB Live!...I'm hoping to use this....and possibly add another card later on.....

What is a Layla??

Thanks Man!!

Hi VintageB3

The setup you describe should do quite well. 7200 RPM IDE Drives are definetly the way to go. SCSI of course is better, but marginally these days. 64MB will do, but I would suggest going to 128MB soon (memory pricing is stabilizing and dropping again, ever so slowly..) The SBLive! will work ok, once you get over the Cubase setup problems, many people on here use the SBLive! with Cubase so you should get lots of help. For a comparison, I'm using a 7200 RPM Quantum KA, PII 450, 256MB of RAM and I can easily get 24 stable tracks playing back while recording 8, with non-destructive EQ, compression and 4 or 5 DirectX plugin's running. I was getting almost as good performance with 128MB though. The layla is a multi input and output sound card targeted towards multitrack recording/studios/home studio.

Emeric

A Layla is a 20 bit soundcard with 8 balanced inputs and 10 balanced outputs. for more info, go to the event electronics section of this bbs.

Back