Buying Cubase

Dor Avitan

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy cubase.

Now I was wondering if i should know something before buying Cubase.

I'm planning on buying the pro version.

Should I buy it from steingberg shop on amazon or steingberg website.

I live in Israel.

I didnt find any usefull information on the internet so i'd be glad if someone could make me sure of buying cubase pro version 9.5.

Thanks Ahead.

You end up using the Steinberg site for all the upgrades and registration, so if you intend paying by credit card, go direct. I have been using Cubase since 1994, and the learning curve is steep, but it can do pretty well everything - and I bet the 10% of the features that I use every day are totally different from somebody else with different needs and types of music. The bundled vat instruments are very useful, and despite having plenty of extra ones, I still use the ones Cubase supply very happily. The licensing app seems to be stable and works OK for me, buying things like Kontakt install quite simply and the current version (9.5) is the best one for stability I have found. Cubase works much better with two monitors, as you can then have both the main screen and the mixer to hand. Smaller screens are not that useful as there is such a lot of info. I'm using a very large second monitor for the mixer screen - helps no end.

You end up using the Steinberg site for all the upgrades and registration, so if you intend paying by credit card, go direct. I have been using Cubase since 1994, and the learning curve is steep, but it can do pretty well everything - and I bet the 10% of the features that I use every day are totally different from somebody else with different needs and types of music. The bundled vat instruments are very useful, and despite having plenty of extra ones, I still use the ones Cubase supply very happily. The licensing app seems to be stable and works OK for me, buying things like Kontakt install quite simply and the current version (9.5) is the best one for stability I have found. Cubase works much better with two monitors, as you can then have both the main screen and the mixer to hand. Smaller screens are not that useful as there is such a lot of info. I'm using a very large second monitor for the mixer screen - helps no end.

Thank you very much.

Just make sure you buy the boxed version... I'm guessing you will have no choice in this but in case there is a option to do that, buy the box instead.

You need the steinberg USB hardware key.

WHY? I haven't bought a boxed version for years - you get a box and a USB stick in it. I have a pile of Cubase boxes somewhere from SX onwards. Boxed versions also come in the post? Downloads are instant. You can also re-download instantly, and for me - boxed products are ancient now.

WHY? I haven't bought a boxed version for years - you get a box and a USB stick in it. I have a pile of Cubase boxes somewhere from SX onwards. Boxed versions also come in the post? Downloads are instant. You can also re-download instantly, and for me - boxed products are ancient now.

Yeah I agree, I haven't done a box in years (since 5 iirc, and before that SL3) but if you are shelling $600 for the full version it makes sense to get a boxed version so you can get the dumb Steinberg USB licencer key.

So the "why" would be simply because you can't download hardware. It would be nice if Steinberg just shipped out a key and emailed the licence instead of doing a box version but it is what it is.

I would have recommended getting it on Ebay. You can get good deals there.
Cubase is the best. The only downsides are the price and the dongle sucks.

I would have recommended getting it on Ebay. You can get good deals there.
Cubase is the best. The only downsides are the price and the dongle sucks.

Sometimes you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, Cubase support is something you do not get for your money. You only have members of the forums that are willing to help for the most part.

As for the dongle being a bad thing? I have seen mine maybe 3 times in 7 years. There is a large man joke in there... lol The only reason was computer rebuilds and SSD upgrade.

I could see it sucking for those with laptops tho... That would suck to have the dongle dangle...

It similar though to the iLok or the Waves authorization. I think both have option to go online, but I would rather not and have both iLok key and my Waves licenses on USB sticks. But since I use a stationary 'under' desk PC, I never even think about them.

I am but a pigmy regarding Cubase. I bought my son Ess'6 years ago and he liked it for the very low latency he could get with a not very fast desktop, a 2496 card and a "dumb" MIDI keyboard.

I hardly ever fire it up now but when I do it finds the dongle and works fine. Just once in a while the security software throws a fit and has to update but then probably my fault for not using it for a year!

Regarding the dongle debacle. Pros and cons. Pro is that you can have Cubase on as many machines as you like for one outlay. Con, they can get lost, stomped or (rarely) go wrong. Note, you can buy PCIe cards with 4 USB ports and a fifth inside the machine. Safe as!

For laptops I have often wondered if a program could be written that stores an internal "virtual dongle" . Not sure how that would work but could say have an active life of 48Hours for a location job? Once done you would have to plug the dongle back in to get another 48 hr "fix".
After all, trial software has a time limit and that seems pretty unbeatable?

Dave.

For laptops I have often wondered if a program could be written that stores an internal "virtual dongle"

Yeah that's pretty much how people who have a plank on thier boat do it.

Personally, I have mine on a powered usb hub that it tucked behind my desk. Out of sight, out of mind (and feet and hands).

Yeah that's pretty much how people who have a plank on thier boat do it.

Personally, I have mine on a powered usb hub that it tucked behind my desk. Out of sight, out of mind (and feet and hands).

Ha! Just up and only a tincture of Joe has passed lips so the pirate allusion took a time to sink (Boom! Boom!) in!

No, I really DON'T mean a crack, just a time limited period sans dongle.

Dave.

I'm actually to the point where I think cloud based licencing would be good. I don't mind having to be online to use my stuff.

I'm actually to the point where I think cloud based licencing would be good. I don't mind having to be online to use my stuff.

You don't mean that the PC would have to be in constant Cloud contact? That could be disastrous on a location recording. If not then the idea essentially devolves to mine? You get a time limited "ticket" before you set out using your dongle. Dongle if taken with you but in a very safe place, NOT hanging out the side of the laptop!

The PC runs on the ticket for the duration but, in the event of a delay you can find a quiet "hot spot" and increase the ticket time by another 24 hors say.

I understand the vendors wanting to protect their investment of course but the security is all stacked in THEIR court and they say ***k! To any inconvenience it causes the punter. If a supermarket demanded similarly draconian security to stop the lift of even a bar of choccy you would not shop there!

Dave.

Er, what?

Dave.

Waves doesn't use ilok anymore. Licence files are downloaded from a cloud. Should you lose them (or in my case, purchase a new PC), you can get them back up to the cloud and put them on a different device once a year (if you need to do it more than once a year they charge you).

My waves licences are on a USB flash drive, but it's nice knowing if I lost the drive or it got botched I can get the licences restored with no hassle.

Back