Busses vs Pro Tools busses

audiomarso

Hello, first timer here,

I am trying to do something very easy on Pro Tools, Logic or DP but seems not quite the same on Nuendo/Cubase.

Normally, I would route "track A" to let's say bus 24 (virtual bus). Then assign input "bus 24" to another track, let's say "track B". Now, if I put in record track B, whatever is on track A will record on track B. Following me? This is merely what bounce used to be in the analog world.

On most of recording softwares it's easy to do. But I don't see how to do it in Cubase. F4 manage only real busses it seems.

Am I wrong? Is it doable? It is so usefull to be able to do so, I can't believe that this wouldn't be possible to do.

Any cue?

Thank you :-)

Last edited:
Maybe not the only way but you can route the output of a group channel to an input. So add a group channel ("Group 1"), route the out of "Track A" to "Group 1" and then set the input of "Track B" to "Group 1". Not sure but it may be a good idea to set the out of "Group 1" to "No Bus" because you'll be sending that signal to the main bus via "Track 2".

EDIT:
Now that I read that back it's exactly what you described but "bus 24" in cubase is called a Group Channel not a Bus.

There is no need to do this in cubase because cubase handles it MUCH better than pro tools does (and yes I own and use both and know exactly what your talking about).

When your trying to save CPU by printing tracks in pro tools you have to print it in real time, this is because pro tools has no freeze function (STUPID). Cubase does have a freeze function and once you use it you will understand why it's better. All you have to do is hit the snowflake looking button on the track and the track freezes and you get you CPU headroom back.

This doesn't work in LE as far as I know though (I think at least cubase SE or whatever they call it now a days is needed). Cubase LE is not on par function wise with pro tools LE, a better comparison would be studio (or again whatever they call it now) vs LE.

Hum, doesn't work. No sound. And the audio file created disapears on itself once the recording stops. ??!! You did it? Yourself, you tested it?

I understand the freeze thing but it's only working with one track at a time. I may want to route several tracks to one bus and then route that buss to a recording track. I could always do export audio mixdown. But I find the true busses concept missing in Steinberg's softwares. Old habit I guess. Sometimes I work in sfx and I build custom sounds and I use that "bouncing on the fly" method very often. I print as I go. I'm using the busses in so various ways...
Anyway, thank you for your input.

Export audio mixdown and check the box to import the rendered file into the mix. Same result, but faster (export audio mixdown goes faster than realtime... can't argue with that).

Back