Best [Free] EQ Plugin?

steveboulton

So im just getting into "home recording," and i have an embarressing setup, but im gonna give it a go anyway. Im learning about giving instruments space in the mix, by EQing them, and am having a bit of a frustrating time with the Cubase EQ, can anyone recommend a good plugin that i can use instead?

Thanks

From the picture you posted, it looks like you are boosting at around 700Hz with a fairly narrow Q (width of the EQ - modified by the bottom knob on the EQ strip). You can do a cut the exact same way, but just by having a negative number in the top box. The highest and lowest bands of the Cubase EQ have specialized functions for shelf and cut EQ's, so you'll need to adjust the Q knob for them. Other free parametric EQ's include the Nyquist and Paris.

scrubs said:
From the picture you posted, it looks like you are boosting at around 700Hz with a fairly narrow Q (width of the EQ - modified by the bottom knob on the EQ strip). You can do a cut the exact same way, but just by having a negative number in the top box. The highest and lowest bands of the Cubase EQ have specialized functions for shelf and cut EQ's, so you'll need to adjust the Q knob for them. Other free parametric EQ's include the Nyquist and Paris.

Thats not my picture/settings :D its just one i found that gives an illustration of what i can get the EQ to do.

I will check out all the suggestions, thanks!

steveboulton said:
I am trying to cut specific frequencies out of a guitar track [for example]. However, i cant seem to do this. I can only seem to set up a general curve like this

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep05/images/cubaseheader.l.jpg

You lost me. Do you understand how a parametric works? Maybe that's why you can't cut the undesired frequencies?

You should never be embarrassed about your recording setup. This was my setup only a year ago (notice the ultra hip mic and studio desk):

Attachments

• Mic placement.jpg
    Mic placement.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Recording rig.jpg
    Recording rig.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 31
Back