Audio Recording with Cubase sx3

gabmeyer

Hi Everyone,

I am quite new to this cubase world, then maybe some of my questions may look obvious for some of you....for instance I need some help !!!

When I record various audio tracks in cubase separately (for example, guitar, voice and sax) the second track is also recording the sound of the first track. I then get a second track with all information recorded on track 1 and 2 and so on. I I record a 3rd track I will record all other 2 tracks again !!! Is this normal or am I making something weird....

Thanks for a quick comprehensive response

Gabmeyer

Be sure only to arm(record enable) the track/tracks you want to record to. The circular red button is record enable.

Are you using stereo tracks all the time?

Thanks for your answer. Well I am not using stereo tracks. I try using mono and stereo but it is not working. See what happens is that if I record, say a guitar track first and then I want to add another track with voice, the second track seams to record also the first track. Then I get the second track with voice and guitar together....??? strange ???

How can I get tracks only with their own instrument or voice without mixing with the others....

Thanks so much for your answer...I'm getting frustrated and nothing I tryed seams to work.

Gabmeyer

Oh right, the output of your original track is being input to your overdub. Make sure the input for the track you're recording is looking at the source of that signal only i.e. the input you've plugged your guitar/mic into.

What's your set up? Are you going through an interface to a mixer and then back in? If so, you're playback and recorded tracks are getting mixed at the mixer.

If that is the case, then try connecting your mixer and interface using the Tape In and Tape Outs. I *believe* your playback will stay separated but you can still hear them while tracking. But, I'm not positive.

Ok I will check that. In fact I am using a USB based mixer console from which I get all the incomming signals. I mean, the mic, guitar and others are sent via the mixer through the usb connection. Is that Ok? If yes, how should I set the income for each of these instruments separately since they are all plugged into the mixing console?

Wow....sounds pretty complicated for me but hopefully you may be able to get me out of this one.

Many thanks for your valuable help

Gabmey

Hmm, I'm not sure about the USB mixer. I would think it keeps the tracks separate. Have you checked the manual? What specific brand? Maybe someone else is here is familiar with your mixer.

Sorry I couldn't help more....

Set yourself up a main and a sub mix. Send your playback and the new track to the main mix - to your headphones(cntrl room). Send only the new track to the sub channel and record only the sub channel via usb.

Sometimes people will monitor the playback using speakers which will feed back into their mics and get recorded again but that doesn't sound like your problem.

Ok..first of all thank you all for your answers......

How to I do that. Set a sub mix and a mix ? How do I chose the signal to cubase ? If I have to choose the signal from the in/out controls what should I choose. I only have the main in from the mixer through the computer and the left and right outs???

I should sound very complicated...I am sorry but I wil have to figure all of this out somehow

Let me try to explain a little better....I have a Korg Pa1X. My Korg is plugged through a usb cable to the computer. This allows me to read and record midi perfectly. No problem with that.
Also, the out signal for audio of the korg is plugged (at the same time) to the usb mixer in order to be able to record audio from the korg (drums and arrangements)- Is this correct or this could be a problem ?
On the other hand, I have guitars and a sax as well as a mic. These go through the mixer to the computer. This is how I have tryed my set up. But I have this audio problem that I have mentioned earlier.

Again, million thanks for your replies

Gabmeyer

One more thing.....

Should I be using a usb mixer or is this causing more trouble ? Normaly it should be quite easy no ? As I understand, I should be able to record every audio track separately. I think anyone of you guys who are used to this things will quicky find a solution to my correct set up and my audio problems when recording

Thanks again. I appreciate your promt answers

Gabmeyer

Last edited:
How to I do that. Set a sub mix and a mix ? How do I chose the signal to cubase ? If I have to choose the signal from the in/out controls what should I choose. I only have the main in from the mixer through the computer and the left and right outs???
Gabmeyer
I don't know what type of mixer you have but if the only output you have from it is the mains then you cannot do it. You sure you don't have an Alt 3/4 output too?
Without the details(like exactly what equipment you are using) it a guessing game for us.

Yeah, you need to let us know what mixer you are using. BUT, a couple of more questions...

Tell us exactly how you are recording. Like:

are you recording your drums and arrangements with the Korg first??
Then recording vocals, and other audio on after?

Are you disabling the midi channels when you are recording the vocals?

If not, then you are resending the midi data again as you are recording the vocals. And most USB mixers send only the master bus signal to the computer. So, everything coming in (Korg and vocals) is getting sent to the computer as one track in Cubase.

If this is the case, you have to either; Mute your midi stuff when recording vocals, turn off the korg, or pull down the fader on the mixer for the korg.

But I'm guessing here, so tell us your set up completely and maybe we can help.

Thanks again guys...
Ok I am using a Alesis Multimix 8 USB console as a mixer
Actually I have no problem when using midi. Record several tracks, edit them, play with effects etc... works just fine. My only problem is when I use Audio. As stated before, I sometimes use the Korg to play some drum arrangements from the Korg and I record them via audio ( is this ok ?) cause via midi I can't play arrangements and rythms...Recording drums via midi is also ok.

So, I have checked yesterday (till very late...) what happens is only when I use audio tracks. The first track is ok (this is normal) but then, when I try to record another track (vocals or any other audio) the second track records the previous one and the new one together.....and so on. I have also tryed not to use any midi tracks together with the audio. Well this does not help. I tryed to record an audio track with a simple guitar on one track, the I recorded another track with the voice.....it happened again !!!the second track with the voice records the first track too...Finally I think the only problem comes when working with audio tracks.

Any help will be most appreciated (so that I can get some sleep)

Million thanks

Gabmeyer

Last edited:
Well I think so as far as I know. See what happens is that all the audio is comming through the Alesis mixer so I just have one input for everything....hummmm is that correct? Anyhow in the inspector bar from cubase my "in" and "out" have only one possible set and that is the asio driver as a input (meaning the mixer) I think.

Any other idea would help

Thanks

Gabmeyer

Hi, I'm not familiar with usb mixers - How many inputs are available from the device setup menu in cubase?

You can't do what I suggested earlier with that mixer.

You are going to have to monitor your playback through the computer only and don't sent it to the mixer.

Go to your control panel, choose sounds and audio devices then click your volume tab/advanced. On the master volume window click options/properties and then choose recording. Check all of the boxes and then click ok. You should see the recording control window now. This is where you choose the recording source. I'm not sure how your USB source will show up but choose that one and make sure stereo mix is not the one checked.

Ok, I will try that. This means that I will still be able to listen (monitor) my first track when recording the second without affecting it and so on ?. Hope it will work. I have been trying to go around this problem without success....it's making me nervous...Do you think is a Cubase or sound card settings problem?

Thanks again

Gabmeyer

Well I think so as far as I know. See what happens is that all the audio is comming through the Alesis mixer so I just have one input for everything....hummmm is that correct? Anyhow in the inspector bar from cubase my "in" and "out" have only one possible set and that is the asio driver as a input (meaning the mixer) I think.

Any other idea would help

Thanks

Gabmeyer

Goto Devices>VST Connections, and have a look at what you've got for your mono in. It should be whatever the input on your soundcard is called. The input selected on whatever track you are recording to should be that mono in.

Ok, I will try that. This means that I will still be able to listen (monitor) my first track when recording the second without affecting it and so on ?. Hope it will work. I have been trying to go around this problem without success....it's making me nervous...Do you think is a Cubase or sound card settings problem?

Thanks again

Gabmeyer
At this point I think it's your soundcard settings. What soundcard do you have and what operating system do you use? The more you tell everyone the easier it is to narrow down the problem. What software are you using Le, SX?

It all boils down to routing this correctly whether through your soundcard and/or cubase.

When you go to add a new track what do you listen to while you are playing or singing your new track?

Back