Audio Performance

soundprizm

When I have my bass and drum tracks playing, no effects, I get crackles and stutters in the playing. It's like my hardrive isn't fast enough. I have the VST performace window up and when this happens the CPU light turns red, not the hardrive light. The hardrive meter looks like the hardrive isn't being worked at all. My systems is as follows:

AMD 1GHZ Athlon processor
Asus A7A266 w/ 128mb PC133
30 gig IBM Deskstar Ultra DMA 100
Soundblaster Live! Platinum
Turtle Beach Montego II (Quadzilla)
Windows 98se w/ Win98 lite

´crackling sound

Sounds to me like you´re recording to hot..Try lowering the input at the Mic2/line input on the Live Drive or on the record mixer. Look at the levels on the monitor mixer of Cubase by muting the channel on the mixer, click " ïn" and see if the signals entering the red. With digital it´s better to record lower than to hot...what you describe sounds to be classic over input. Good Luck!

Sorry, I must have worded it wrong. When playing my recorded bass and drum tracks the audio stops for a brief second then starts again. When this happens the cpu light in the VST performance window turns red.

Audio cutout

Try "reset Devices" in the options or prefences menu before you start playback, I have had something similar occur as well. Also, if you use SoundFonts keep them to a minimum...they seem to slow down audio processing . Use effects sparingly... they also slow down processing. It looks like your cpu can´t keep up, try eliminating a track at a time to see when playback is ok without interuptions...in this way troubleshooting just what causes it. Best of luck and let me know if you have succes.

Your problem is not likely to be your processor's speed. I have a PIII 450 w. 128 MB RAM and I can play back 24 tracks with 4 send effects and 10-15 insert effects. I have no experience with AMD processors but I've heard of problems with these, but just as many times of systems that work great. Maybe your buffer settings should be changed.

Best regards.
/Henrik Wikner, Uppsala, Sweden

Do you mean the soundcard's buffer settings? If so, I tried doing that in the Asio MM setup by detecting the buffer size. I would prefer to use the Asio Direct X driver though. Both have the same results, only the latency is much different.

cpu meter peroformance

I have the same problem on a G4 mac w/256 mb ram.
I've been trying to solve it for about a year now with no luck. Maybe I'll try the reset devices thing, it might be the one thing I haven't tried. If you do find a solution, please let me know what it is. No forum, cubase user, mac techie or steinberg themselves have been able to so far. thanks.

Back