Audio doubled on track in Cubase 10.5 while using UR44

66BobbyQ

This may not be an issue at all. It may just be my failure to understand.

First my equipment and signal chain:

Sterling condenser mic --> Mackie Profx8 mixer ch 2 --> Behringer Compser Pro-XL ('insert' mixer ch2) --> Mackie mixer main outs --> UR44 lines 5 & 6.

I have connections for the UR44 configured in Cubase 10.5 as 3 stereo inputs. I am also using control room so I have no outputs connected. I am monitoring through main mix (mix1/JBL monitors) & headphones(mix2/RevoNexteasrbuds).

Should also mention, that I have direct monitoring off with loopback enabled in Cubase.

I created a audio track for the mic using stereo channel 3 as an input and mix1 as the stereo out. When I monitor this track I hear a slight doubling of the audio. It doesn't matter if it is mix1 or mix2 or, JBLs or earbuds. If I turn on 'Direct Monitoring' in the Cubase setup it goes away. I already have stereo input 1 on the interface muted in Cubase to avoid doubling on that channel since I have loopback enabled. Anything I record on said track does not have the doubling it is only in the monitoring.

It seems to me (and I can be wrong) that I had resolved this issue before. I don't care about latency because its minimal but the doubling I hear sounds like reverb. This really throws me off because I can't get a real idea as to how things really sound cause everything seems to be washed in an annoying crappy reverb.

Is there a simple fix or am I out of my cotton picking mind?

I hope I explained this well enough to be understood. Please let me know if further info is needed.

I am not sure what the needs are for you to be using the mixer and compressor when recording. Do you need multiple inputs at the same time? You can already do that with the UR44 with better results than the mixer will give. Unless you have some needs that I am not aware of, get rid of the mixer. And the compressor as well because it is really not worth using. Especially if you are recording. If you are doing live podcasts or something? Well, maybe you might think you have a need for that...

Back to Cubase: If you are recording with a single microphone, you want to use 'Mono' input bus in Cubase.

I know, Cubase defaults as a stereo bus. Friggen stupid.

Create and record to mono audio tracks. Create mono input bus for each mic you are recording if there are multiples recorded at the same time.

Hope I understood enough to give a worthy reply! :)

Cheers man, let's see if we can help.

The doubling goes away when you turn Direct Monitoring on?? That's opposite of what I would expect. How does the recording sound on playback? Still have the doubling? What happens when you keep Direct Monitoring off? For recording, it should stay off. I'm guessing you mean the little speaker icon in the channel panel.

Also, not sure why you're going through so many components before the interface. Sterling condenser mic> UR44 Input 1 and be done with it.

I got rid of my live rack of composers las year once my live kit went totally digital, all the ones in my studio went digital a long time back and repurposed to live, so now I have none at all. Best thing I did because recording with compression is so risky. Choices made before you even get the other tracks end up so wrong, so it's destructive, and frankly very risky. If you have some wonderful compressor then you can always go out and back to use it, but composers were really problem solvers, just doing their job pretty well, but the ones I use in cubase are much more controllable. My own view is get into digits as early as you can, and faffing around through mixers and extant processors is a poor way of working.

Back