Weird playback sluggishness in sound forge 10

jmz93

Hi folks.

I really hope someone can help me diagnose this problem.

Playback takes up to 5 seconds to start in Sound Forge 10, on a fast machine running win7 x64, Focusrite Saffire Pro14 interface. Stopping or pausing playback is instantaneous, but starting/resuming playback is very very slow. This is not happening in Sonar or any other audio applications, and things are very snappy and responsive everywhere except in Sound Forge. Any ideas on things to check?

To explain the behaviour a bit more, sometimes playback starts quickly, under half a second, and sometimes it takes 5-6 seconds. I haven't yet figured out a pattern to it.

I've double-checked windows and audio interface settings, no problems there and playback is fine in other programs. (under 10MS round trip latency in Sonar for example!)

I've searched Sony Creative's knowledge base, no luck.

I submitted a tech support request and hopefully they'll get back to me, even though I haven't bent over for one of their support plans. :(

I even did a complete uninstall/reinstall last night, including supporting software, registry keys ... everything.

System: Windows 7 64-bit, SF 10.0C build 491, 16GB ram, solidstate system drive, AMD quad-core CPU 3.4GHZ. Focusrite Saffire Pro14 audio interface connected via firewire.

So, can you think of anything I can check? There isn't much in Options > Preferences > Audio - routing looks good and besides selecting the right device from the list, there's not much I can fiddle with in there.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Chris

FIXED!! The problem is something between the latest Focusrite firewire driver and Sound Forge. Recently, Focusrite released Mix Control 2.4 for their Saffire interfaces. It includes FW-Driver: 3.5.6.11675. Going back a version to Mix Control 2.2, which includes FW-Driver: 3.5.3.8786 solved my problem.

Back