Vegas Pro Review

drstawl

Banned
My free trial beta expires tomorrow, so it's "Buy it or use Power Tracks 5 & Cool Edit 96." Ouch!! I can't swing the purchase of Vegas Pro, so I'm really going to miss using this marvelous multitracker. While they provide very little more than the cheaper competition when compared with respect to straight digital multitracking capability they "merely" make it a lot easier. Even though it's got a great user interface and a great .mp3 and RealAudio converter, I still hesitate to pay the $499 ($599 at Guitar Center) price. I do, however think a $250 price would get my plastic active. :)

Memorable features of this program were the excellent V/U meters, the easy to understand routing from track to bus to output. The amazingly easy to use time-slide of a track against the rest of the mix, easily done because of a great zoom tool built into an adjustable wave view slider bar. The (adjustable) width of the slider bar determines the degree of zoom. Very cool. I think this is also seen on SoundForge 4.5. But the most outstanding and noticeable advantage seen from installation to imminent expiration has been: [not one crash!]
NOT ONE! And none of that, "Sorry Dave, I can't do that" routine.
On the minus side- no MIDI track recording or playback functionality. Boo Hoo. :(
I only wish I had more time to delve into what this program can really do.

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 07-18-1999).]

Darn maybee I should have played with vegas more!I did not notice mp3 conversion and all that stuff.Your review worries me, because u make it seem like I would like it better than "acid" peace

[This message has been edited by djjonblade (edited 07-22-1999).]

I downloaded an "acid" demo from SF that didn't impress me much after playing with Vegas Pro. But maybe that's because it's harder to learn and I didn't give it as much time.

Back