Vegas 2 files incompat with Vegas 5?

al_dave

Here's a good one. I bought SoundForge 5.0 a few years back and installed the Vegas Audio LE demo as I was interested in multitracking on the computer. After messing aboot with Vegas, I decided to spend the cash and upgrade to the full version (Vegas Audio 2.0). Recorded 2 of my own CDs as well as one CD of a singer/songwriter buddy of mine between 2001-2003.

So I got a new machine last month and installed SF and Vegas and decided I should upgrade to (Sony) SF7 and Vegas5. Now, I had previously downloaded cracked versions of the new products, but I really feel that the 2 programs that I really use a lot to make, mix, master and burn my music should be bought and paid for honestly.

Which, of course, means that I paid for the upgrades from my original versions to the new and hopefully improved versions of said programs. I installed them and decided to open a few of my old Vegas files and see how the new program worked with them.

Well, in short, they really didn't. V5 kept giving me an error about not being able to route the audio properly. I found this was easily fixed by adding the necessary busses after I loaded the file (I guess the default number of busses is just the Master Bus).

I'm just kind of pissed that I pay $200 for an-honest-to-goodness upgrade that apparently is not backward-compatible with files generated by previous versions, especially when you consider that I could have gone the unscrupulous route and just installed the cracked versions instead. Luckily, the "updated" installation doesn't upgrade anything since the directories for Sony SF and Vegas are totally different than those for the SonicFoundry products. Which means I can still use my older versions to open and save. I guess I'll use the new ones for any new projects I may end up starting.

Having said all of that, does anyone know how to get the old Vegas 2.0 .veg files to open and load properly in Vegas 5? I did a search on the Sony media knowledge base, but came up empty handed. Any insights would be appreciated.

In addition, one problem I'm having with SF7 and V5 is that they can't read the audio stream from .mpg files. I have some mpgs of me and a buddy jamming (drums and guitar) that I added bass lines to, but V5 can't read the audio stream. All I get is the video strip, an empty track for the mpg audio and then the .wav file of the bass track. And when I open the mpg in SF7 to normalize the audio stream, it just shows up empty as well. Any suggestions on that one?

Thanks in advance...

Hmm, that's odd. When I upgraded to Vegas 5 from 1b, I had no problem opening older projects. Of course, once you change anything and save it, it can only be opened in 5.

As for the mp3, I don't know. Which mp3 codec are you using?

Not .mp3. I'm talking about .mpg video files. I'd have to check and see which .mpg codec SF5, SF7, V2 and V5 are using...

Back