SOUND FORGE normalizing

djjonblade

Hi, I was wondering if when you normalized a wav. file and the original volume level was below (for instance normalizing to 85%) would the program raise that volume level? thanks and peace

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but from my experience Sound Forge has definitely raised the volume level on some of my wav files during normalizing. I normalize to -16dB, and on relatively quiet stuff the volume certainly increases. If this isn't what you are talking about, please explain further.

sorry for the confusion but I am used to using audiograbber to normalize wavs, (just to burn to cd) and then I started to realize that I also needed normalizing for my stuff! hence the question. In audio grabber it will normalize to a max volume level depending on what you set it at, but does not raise the volume, at least to my experience thus far!
peace

As far as I can hear (I didn't check the wave files), if you order Soundforge to normalise peaks to 0dB, it would raise the highest peak to 0dB and also raise the entire volume. That's what you mean, isn't it?

The question which then comes up is: if you normalise a batch of files with Soundforge, would the peaks in each of the tracks be raised to 0dB?

Rubicon

Just one more thing...never normalize to 0 dB, too much chance of something going "over". I suggest -0.5 dB, which works out to about 95%.

I normalize lots of stuff to 0dB with no digital distortion... this is binary land.. your computer will do what you tell it... won't it? :->

Emeric

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 09-02-1999).]

Well, that particular piece of advice was given to me once by someone more guruji and knowledgable than myself, and the explanation (which I forget right now) sounded good at the time.

As far as things being binary...either they will or they won't :)

Only if you're good... :) But remember, they'll all be normalized to the same setting, which may or may not be right for each file. If you have a particularly loud peak in one place in a song, the whole song will sound lower. That's where mastering comes in...

Back