sound forge?

very different

Sound Forge is used more for mastering a final mix. I believe you can only work with one track in sound forge....with cool edit or other multi-track recording programs you can have an unlimited number of tracks. You wouldn't be able to use sound forge to record a band...and then mix the tracks together...
if you go to www.sonicfoundry.com you can read about sound forge and compare it to Vegas Video. Vegas Video (which also supports audio) is more like the cool edit program in regards to multi-track recording.

Sorry, my original answer was a bit misleading.

Sound Forge is much like CoolEdit in some ways, but it's not quite as simple as it being another developer's implementation of the same tool. There are also the full and "lite" versions to consider, which further complicates the comparison.

CoolEdit Pro is a multitrack recorder/editor, which is a significant difference from Sound Forge, which works on just a single mono or stereo track. Their similarities lie in the depth of detailed audio data editing available to you, and their prices are somewhat comparable.

CoolEdit 2000 is a stereo editor. But it doesn't have the same depth of features that would allow you to compare it directly with Sound Forge. It does compare closely to the "lite" version of Sound Forge, though -- I think it's called Sound Forge XP -- both in feature set and price.

Re: very different

kormaniac said:
Sound Forge is used more for mastering a final mix. I believe you can only work with one track in sound forge....with cool edit or other multi-track recording programs you can have an unlimited number of tracks. You wouldn't be able to use sound forge to record a band...and then mix the tracks together...
if you go to www.sonicfoundry.com you can read about sound forge and compare it to Vegas Video. Vegas Video (which also supports audio) is more like the cool edit program in regards to multi-track recording.

Although SF is great for your final mix, I also use it to clean the individual tracks prior to mixing. I get the levels strong and clean any unwanted noise from the tracks. This keeps me from having to use too many outboard gear on the tracks during mixdown.

Back