Sound Forge 6.0 - Indexing a sound file before burning to CD?

radiogold

In the past, I've moved my vinyl to cd using Sound Forge 4.5. I've had to record one side of a record into one big file, then break it up into individual wav files, so I can burn it to CD. I could also just reocrd one track at a time. VERY TIME CONSUMING.

I'd love to record an entire record in one large file. Then indicate where the tracks start and stop by simply dropping markers in the file. Yesterday I updated to Sound Forge 6, hoping I could do this. Can this be done, or am I becoming abit to ambitious with my tools.

Mark
Sydney, Australia
mark@2prfm.com

No- I really haven't tried this in SF 6.0.

I LIKE to have each track stored separately in case I want to create a diffreent set of tracks on another CD sometime in the future.

But, getting back to your question: No.

I don't think so. Why else would they think they could charge me $150 for CD architect (which definitely CAN do this)?

radio gold since you seem to be more in the know than me since I have had my studio officialy running for about three weeks(I just purchased SF 6.0...and have never had or used SF up until this point) I would also like to convert some old records for a friend. What woul be the easiest way to do this? I'm useing adat edit to convert to my computer. Should I split the audio to two channels on my adats then link them and make to wav files of the same track. Also, I'm getting some pops while using sound forge...how do I remedy this? I've been told my PCR is not in sync with my adats...How do I set the master sync clock? Thanks

drstawl, thanks for your reply, yeah, that might be the way to go. I've just discovered I can do this in Nero 5, but it's pretty damn fiddlely and slow. I tried the demo version of CD Architect the other day and it's much easier and quicker. All I have to do now is save my golden coins.

Voodoo101, I would record one large wave file and then save it. Then highlight the first track then copy it into your clip board. Open a new window and paste the selection into there. After doing this you can fade the silent gaps before and after the track to tidy it up. I like doing this as it sounds cleaner. A sudden start or finish to a audio file, without a fade can cause a pop or click on the files parameters (start and finish). Then do this with the second and third track and so on. The only downfall is that this can be time consuming, depending on what computer you have. Alternatively, you can copy the large wave file into a cd burner program like Nero or CD Architect 5, and then just drop index marks. I'm not really sure yet on how to do this exactly as, I've only just discovered this avenue myself.

I'm sorry, but I know absolutely nothing about DAT Recorders. I recommend using as few components as possible during a Vinyl to CD transfer. I use a Technics SL-BD20D Belt Drive Turntable, which is connected to a Rotel RQ970BX Prestage Phono Amp. The Pre-Amp is then hooked to my Delta 66 Sound Card. As I have friends in the Audio Business, I have tried a multitude of Turntables, preamps and soundcards. I've tested equipment that has cost a bomb and sounds crap, through to equipment that sounds incredibly good-and doesn't cost the earth. The only expensive Item I've used is the Delta Soundcard. The pre-amp and turntable perform very well, for their price range. I have watched my brothers waste thousands of dollars on set-ups their not really happy with. I feel very much that the final result will sound only as good as the weakest link.

For the repairing of tracks that contain crackling or scratches, I use the Noise Reduction Plug in for Sound Forge 6. Once you have selected the entire file. Select "DX Favourites", then "Sonic Foundry", then "Click and Crackle remover". In the preset menu, scroll down until you can find the preset "remove lots of crackle". Then click OK.

Hope this will send you off in the right direction! Let me know how you went.

Keep your eye on my website, as I'll eventually post an entire section, on using sound-forge to transfer vinyl to CD.

http://www.2prfm.com

Back