Sound Forge 5.0 $99

C. Anthony

I just got a notice from Sonic Foundry that SF 5.0 will be at a price of $99 (DL'd version) and this part burned me a little, anyone with SF XP and older SF versions will get an upgrade for $99 too. This is a limited time offer until Monday the 19th of March. I spent hundreds on SF 4.0 and I still get the same deal as someone with any old version of XP! Good for them but so-so for me huh?
Anyone done this yet? Other issues are that 5.0 will require 98SE and above and I DON'T know if it will support CD Architect as a add on or tool. 5.0 comes with some of it's own CD burning software but I don't know what kind of tweeking you can do with it. I DL'd the beta but never even used it 'cause I need to keep running 95 for a while 'til I can upgrade other nessesary programs on my studio computer that will ONLY use 95. Too bad for me. I'll probably get it anyway for the 24bit file support and new processing tools coming with it. It also comes with Vegas LE whatever that is. Any input?

I'm curious - I've never heard of a program that works on 95 but NOT on 98 (heard several of the reverse however). What is it?

The program in particular I'm concerned about is the packet writing program that I store all my data to disk on. It's called Direct CD by Adaptec. My version specifically states it will only work in Windows 95. It would kill me to lose access to all those files stored away. I also use Digidesign's Session 8 PC as a backup system for my Mixtreme. It supposedly won't use '98 either. I've yet to get confirmation that upgraded Direct CD program will read disks made with the older version.

Anyway I just confirmed that the special offer is extended to March 31st. You could literally get SF XP for 29.99 at Guitar Center then register it and upgrade to SF 5.0 for $99 and have the boxed full program for $128!
That's pretty good I think. I logged on and sure enuf it will only cost $99 for upgrade from XP! Well anyway RWhite thanks for responding it's better than I got from anyone else on all my other posts.

No Problem. That does sound like a good deal, although the last time I saw SF XP it was about $40 I thought. Still a good deal at that price.

I do know people who use direct CD with Win 98 and it works. Whether the version they use can read older disks I don't know. I did recently find out that CDRs written with Direct CD (or other "Packet writing" software) supposedly can not be disc copied by software like EZCD Creator. You have to copy the files back to your hard drive and make a new disc. Again, I have not tried this to verify it.

Honestly I have never figured out why people even use Direct CD. It seems like the idea is to make a CD into a big floppy disc. With hard drives being so extremely cheap, and HD disk access so much faster, it seems a waste. I just keep all my data in one spot on my hard drive and periodically back it up it to a regular data CDR. Then I can read it from anywhere. Plus with CDRs being less than $0.40 each it is a cheap solution.

I'm pretty sure the SF website showed that XP owners had to pay a higher upgrade price to get to 5.0. Like $199 instead of $99. At least it was a couple of weeks ago, when I checked to see how much to upgrade my XP. I figured if it really was just $99, then I might upgrade, but at $199, it's not worth it to me...yet.

Peace.

Yeah... this is how it reads on the promo email:

Upgrading? All upgrades from any version of Sound Forge or
Sound Forge XP during this period are $US 99.
Move up to 5.0 at incredible savings, and experience the newest
version of the industry's top-selling digital audio editor.

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/promo.asp?keycode=6674

My NOTE: "6674"

It still say's $249 for the upgrade when you click the "SF XP any version upgrade" link but then you click the buy icon and the new page shows the promo price. Get 'em while their hot!

.... and also

Get this... You're led to believe that any old version will upgrde to 5.0 'til you get down to the nitty gritty of ordering then it sais this:

In order to purchase Upgrade Sound Forge 2.x, 3.x, 4.x to Sound Forge 5.0, you must be a registered user of Sound Forge 4.0 or Sound Forge 4.5. Please enter a qualifying serial number below:

This is also true of SF XP.

Then they charge $15 for shipping!
Actual shipping costs would be around $4 (UPS).
At least you won't pay tax )at least in IL. Better than Cakewalk did for me.
So they get you coming and going. Guess they have to pay for all those thousands of glossy brochure's they've been mailing out like candy.

The real bad news was that it was $99 to everybody... even non-soundforge owners. I never had a copy, but when I logged on, I plugged in the number from the back of the SF catalog I get every couple of months. It took it and I paid $99---- with no upgrade. That was about a month ago.

Dude, now that's a deal. $99 for SF 5.0 with no previous investment. I tried to use an unregistered version of XP 4.0 and it wouldn't give it to me, an error message popped up saying I needed to register it. Don't know how you did it but bravo for you... (boo hoo for me.)

It was a bargain... since I usually use CEPro, I never thought of SF.... but for $99, how could I resist? I have Acid 2.0 which was registered and since then, get the SF catalogs in the mail. I just plugged in the number from the catalog--SF5.0 for $99.... all I can say is "Thank you SF!!!!"

Back