Sound Forge 10 / Melodyne Plug-in problem

ProducerYoda

Hello all,

I used to use Sound Forge studio, the lesser version. 8 months ago I upgraded to SF 10. A couple of years ago my studio partner purchased Melodyne Editor to use at home. I've been using the Antares ATR-1, the hardware version of Auto Tune.

I decided its time for me to move up to computer based pitch correction/editing version. I loaded up the Melodyne Editor Ver. 1. Its their best "single track" editor. It can run as a "stand alone". Unfortunately it is NOT capable of generate MTC to hardware DAW. To send MTC I have to use it as a plug-in to a host and the host can send the MTC to sync stand alone DAWs. My setup is based on 2 stand alone DAW, not computer based. I tried my old SONAR but its very old and has no support for a plug-in.

Sound Forge 10 can send and receive MTC and its new enough to be plug-in friendly. I'm not too familiar with SF 10 but I've been able to record into it digitally as a mono track sync-ed to my stand alone DAW. It took hours of trial and error just to get to that point.

The Melodyne does show up as a VST plug-in but it needs to be INSERTED as a plug-in. It took another couple of hours to figure out that it needs to brought into SF 10 through the "plug-in chain". The first thing that HAS TO HAPPEN is for the audio track to be transferred into Melodyne. This is accomplished by pressing "play" on SF 10 and the meter on the Melodyne moves . . . BUT nothing happens in Melodyne when "stop" is pressed on SF 10. Melodyne acts like the signal never got to it.

After wracking my brain for a while, I suddenly realized SF 10 is in "preview mode". Normally with "effects" and "processing", in Sound Forge you "preview" your setting first, then you apply the setting to the "current file". With a "plug-in editor" where its an external editor the "preview" mode is not sending the audio signal in the right way for the plug-in to record.

Am I mistaken in my thinking ??
I hope not because this means SF 10 can not use any external wave editing software as a plug-in.

Is there anyone else using a Melodyne software as a plug-in with SF 10 ?

I need to use MTC to sync up my DAW to send back the edited track into it. In Melodyne I'm only working with the single track so I need my DAW to play the other tracks to listen to my Melodyne track in context to the other tracks while I'm editing.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

I use melodyne with Acid so it might be similar. I know when I add the melodyne plugin to a track's effect, there is s drop down menu in the plugin that says launch melodyne. That launches the actual melodyne prog. You then can select in the plugin where you want to transfer to, i.e. select Track 1 now the Melodyne is open. You then can do the whole transfer thing and when you hit stop, melodyne will have "import" what you played. That's how it works in Acid, not sure if that helps. good luck!

Back