recording Vegas vs. Acid

little guy

lastnight i downloaded the demo of Vegas 6.0 from sony's site. thought i'd give it a test run. now so far i've been very pleased with the products from sony, Acid 4.0 and Sound Forge 7.0. i am progressing to the point of where i want to do multi track recording, which Vegas is very capable of doing.

just to give you a heads up on my method of recording. in Acid i like to create a region and set it to loop while i record. that way i can do a number of takes of the same musical piece over and over again. then take that recording into Sound Forge, crop out the take i like best, loop it in acid if need be, and presto a beautiful recording.

so i read the Vegas manual to learn how to record and it seemed simple enough. it was pretty much the same as Acid except for a few differences here and there. the one difference that really bugged me was when i created my region and set it to loop while recording. it looped, yes, but it also looped my recording. so each time it looped, it was like the recording was "starting over" with a new take. i hope you understand what i'm getting at. this is pretty much my only gripe about vegas. is there a setting to correct this issue or is it already set in stone that way.

so knowing my issue, do the majority of multi-track recording programs record in the same manor as Vegas. tonight i'm going to test out the demo of some Steinberg software.

p.s. one more gripe, in vegas the project tempo is only visable if you open up the project properties window. is there any way to make it visible like it is in Acid???

boy was i mistaken

well, i've been demo'ing Vegas 6.0, also i demo'd Sonar and Cubase. as far as i'm concerned Vegas 6.0 wins hands down. every aspect. also after working with vegas for a while now, i now realize that even though it loops while recording and creates different takes, the recording is still one long wav file with makers for the takes. sweeet deal. almost exactly the same way the the Acid series records........ :D

yeah those other interfaces from sonar and cubase, just seemed... almost like it was in it's own way... know what i mean?

And if you ever decide to get into video editing, you won't need to buy a new program. I did my first music video with it using clips I took with my digital camera.

little guy said:
the one difference that really bugged me was when i created my region and set it to loop while recording. it looped, yes, but it also looped my recording. so each time it looped, it was like the recording was "starting over" with a new take. i hope you understand what i'm getting at. this is pretty much my only gripe about vegas. is there a setting to correct this issue or is it already set in stone that way.

so knowing my issue, do the majority of multi-track recording programs record in the same manor as Vegas. tonight i'm going to test out the demo of some Steinberg software.

p.s. one more gripe, in vegas the project tempo is only visable if you open up the project properties window. is there any way to make it visible like it is in Acid???

To do what you want you need to have an event on the timeline selected (highlighted)to record into. You can just make an empty event that covers your range. Or usually what I do Is stop after the first take, listen to make sure I like the sound. Highlight what i just recorded, set up the loop, then record again. It makes sense after using vegas for a while. The project tempo in Vegas is pretty much irrelevant. Vegas does not use a tempo map. i.e Vegas always plays things back at the same speed. Acid adjusts to temp changes, in Vegas that just does not exist. The tempo in the properties just basically refers to where the bars would be on the grid if you op to have the time and grid be displayed in bars and beats.

Just keep one thing in mind. Vegas is not a DAW. It does not do midi. It dosen't have a tempo map, you can't rewire it to something with those features. If what you are doing is recording, editing and mixing just audio (and or video) it is excellent. You can use ACID to fill in the gaps in Vegas, but that is less than ideal. I go back and forth between the two and I find it frustrating.

James HE said:
To do what you want you need to have an event on the timeline selected (highlighted)to record into. You can just make an empty event that covers your range. Or usually what I do Is stop after the first take, listen to make sure I like the sound. Highlight what i just recorded, set up the loop, then record again. It makes sense after using vegas for a while. The project tempo in Vegas is pretty much irrelevant. Vegas does not use a tempo map. i.e Vegas always plays things back at the same speed. Acid adjusts to temp changes, in Vegas that just does not exist. The tempo in the properties just basically refers to where the bars would be on the grid if you op to have the time and grid be displayed in bars and beats.

Just keep one thing in mind. Vegas is not a DAW. It does not do midi. It dosen't have a tempo map, you can't rewire it to something with those features. If what you are doing is recording, editing and mixing just audio (and or video) it is excellent. You can use ACID to fill in the gaps in Vegas, but that is less than ideal. I go back and forth between the two and I find it frustrating.

Incorrect... there is a tempo tap.
The song tempo is not irrelevant, it controls the grid markers and also the metronome function.
If you dont know your software, dont gripe about it.

JazzMang said:

The song tempo is not irrelevant, it controls the grid markers and also the metronome function.
Oh, snap! :eek:

I've had Vegas since it first came out, and I'm still learning all its features! :o

To be fair, the manual that comes with it leaves a bit to be desired. There is a pretty good Vegas users group over at Yahoo, but most of those guys are video editors, and can sometimes tend to be a bit, um, shall we say, condescending to audio guys.

Until they need an audio question answered, that is, hahahaha!

JazzMang said:

I said map not tap. And I also said "The tempo in the properties just basically refers to where the bars would be on the grid if you op to have the time and grid be displayed in bars and beats. " so yes it controls grid markers. Sorry I forgot to mention the metronome. In version 5 they never fixed the well documented metronome bug. What I mean by "map" Is that I can Start a song in 4/4 at 90 BPM and change at any point to, say, 7/8 even at the same BPM and have the metronome or even the grid lines represent that.
Also VST effects that can lock to the project tempo (i.e. a delay that is timed to the tempo) just don't work in Vegas.
If you don't comprehend what I'm saying don't gripe about what I'm saying. :D

Yeah, I think I accidentally cancelled the upload, oh well, it was just a screen-shot of the midi options Vegas 5.0 has.

I started out using vegas, i really liked it. It was rock solid for me as a multitrack, but unfortunatly, the absence of midi forced me to look elsewhere.

I bought vegas this weekend to edit some movies and burn a dvd. I couldn't figure out how to add a track.......... all I could work with was the tracks that the file starts out with...video..video overlay, etc.

FALKEN said:
I bought vegas this weekend to edit some movies and burn a dvd. I couldn't figure out how to add a track.......... all I could work with was the tracks that the file starts out with...video..video overlay, etc.
Which version?

Vegas movie studio 4. I'll give that a try. The other thing that's pissing me off about it is that when I "render" the file to burn a DVD in Vegas, it has to play the entire file (unlike most audio programs which will simply run the data algorithms). So for a 30 minute DVD, I have to spend 30 minutes rendering the file. This isn't so bad in itself, but when I go to burn the movie in DVD Architech, it has to re-format it AGAIN. ("prepare"). In addition it has to "compress the audio" because Vegas saves it as 16-bit 48khz. I don't know what format DVD is in (I thought 24/48) but I don't see why Vegas isn't exporting in the correct format from the start and why it has to be processed a 2nd time in Architect. am I doing something wrong?

in regaurds to the first post.
when you loop while recording, it records constantly, doing multiple TAKES of your recording. So it really is recording just like acid would do, except it keeps it all on the one track that you have selected.

to cycle through your takes, you can highlight the take and hit T (to go forward), or shift+T to go backwards. additionally, you can right click it and go to Takes - then select which one you want like that.

I don't think there is any way to get the tempo stuff right up front like it is on acid. But that is partly because there really isn't much point. after you set your tempo in vegas, it assumes this is the entire song's tempo - and you can't do half and half with different tempos, or anything like that.
the tempo just sets grid lines and metronome, basically.

Back