Record live audio from midi?

peopleperson

I'm so sorry.
Does anyone know if it's possible to record live audio to a fresh track from a midi instrument in real time? I'm running a simple dell laptop with stock audio drivers.

In Acid 7...

"Live audio" usually means recorded with a mic or line-in from an instrument like a guitar (non-midi). Your description is a little confusing.

Sorry. I want to be able to play a vst synth and record the audio output of it to a fresh audio track within the same session in Acid in real time. Not sure if it's possible without some kind of external interface.

While it may not yield the best results, it may be possible to use a simple iPod type audio cable (1/8" to 1/8" stereo cable) by running it out of the headphone jack into the microphone input.

While it may not yield the best results, it may be possible to use a simple iPod type audio cable (1/8" to 1/8" stereo cable) by running it out of the headphone jack into the microphone input.

Yeah, I was avoiding that out of fear of creating some kind of feedback loop, but I can give it a shot. I know you can setup output and input busses, and I have those setup, but it won't let me use the audio from the output bus as an input form the track. I'll just keep trying. Would like to not have to buy an interface just for this, but not sure if the limitations of the stock soundcard and drivers will let me do it. Thanks all.

Can't say for Acid - but in Cubase (my choice) there is no need to go outside from an internally synthesised/sampled source like a VST, you simply route it to the input, and hit record. Although Cubase lets you freeze sources, making an audio copy of them to free up resources. Going out then in, involves two extra D to A/A to D con versions which means a small (or big) quality drop.

There is an option in ACID called "Real-Time Render". It will render the song at it's original tempo and the MIDI data will trigger your synth and play into the mix. So you can use a hardware synth. However it won't create a distinct audio track. There's a tutorial video from Sony that shows you how it works. The file is "12InputBusses.wmv"

I've never used it for a hardware synth, but I have used real-time rendering a couple of times so that I could use a rackmount reverb unit that I really like.

Back