please help me configure acid or vegas to record audio

buddyC

I have an old ensoniq EPS keyboard with an eight track sequencer. I want to record each audio separate track from my keyboard into separate tracks in either acid or vegas. Can anyone tell me how to setup acid or vegas and my keyboard to record the keyboard tracks separately and still have them in sync? I know it will be via midi but am not sure how to configure these options in the software and the keyboard. For example: Do I turn the midi controlllers on or off on the keyboard; Do I turn the "transmit on" option on the keyboard to base channel or instrument channel? How do I setup all the midi options in acid and vegas? Keep in mind I do not want to record midi data into the software. I want to arm a track for recording on the computer, and when I click play on the computer to make it start recording, I want the keyboard to start playing so that the audio is recorded on the armed track( I ofcourse will have the audio outs of the board going to the line in on the sound card and midi cables hooked up). The key is to get each track from the keyboard to start recording at the same point and be in sync. This is probably a very novice-type question, but hey, I'm a novice.

OK, I don't have Acid 3.0 in front of me, at the moment, so you'll have to bear with me.

First you will need to figure out which MIDI command the EPS recognizes, Midi Time Code or Midi Clock.

Goto OPTIONS in Acid or Vegas, then tell Acid/Vegas to GENERATE MTC or Midi Clock.

Connect the OUTS of the EPS to the INS of your soundcard.

Go midi OUT of the computer soundcard IN to the EPS.

I'm not sure if you turn the EPS's TRANSMIT MIDI on or off? I do know that you will need to choose one or the other, so you'll need to do a simple trial by error. ;)

You will need to assign an input channel in ACID's record box.

You will also need to right-click or left-click the time at cursor clock to tell it to generate MIDI CLOCK or MIDI TIME CODE.

You will also want to pan you tracks in the EPS hard right and hard left.

If you need more info, post us back. ;)

Thanks Spin, but I think I just figured it out yesterday, although I don't have it all figured out yet. I do have a couple of questions.

1) When you said I need to assign input channels in acid's
record dialog box, I looked but I don't see this option there.
Where is it located?

2) When I clicked the time at cursor section I saw that the
"generate midi clock" option which I picked under the
options tab(I know now that my keyboard uses midi clock)
is already checked. When you say I need to tell the time at
cursor to generate midi clock, do you mean I need to put
the black dot next to "midi clock out" instead of "time at
cursor?" Things seem to be working without changing that.
Could you tell me how that would help?

Also, when I record an audio track and adjust the BPM slider, it seems to make the track change pitch, not just speed up or slow down. How do I keep the track sounding the same regardless of tempo change? One last thing - Is Acid capable or recording each individual midi note from my keyboard(like on a grid or something) so that I can move and arrange them as I want? Thanks in advance for all the help.

buddyC said:
Thanks Spin, but I think I just figured it out yesterday, although I don't have it all figured out yet. I do have a couple of questions.

1) When you said I need to assign input channels in acid's
record dialog box, I looked but I don't see this option there.
Where is it located?

2) When I clicked the time at cursor section I saw that the
"generate midi clock" option which I picked under the
options tab(I know now that my keyboard uses midi clock)
is already checked. When you say I need to tell the time at
cursor to generate midi clock, do you mean I need to put
the black dot next to "midi clock out" instead of "time at
cursor?" Things seem to be working without changing that.
Could you tell me how that would help?

3) Also, when I record an audio track and adjust the BPM slider, it seems to make the track change pitch, not just speed up or slow down. How do I keep the track sounding the same regardless of tempo change?

4) One last thing - Is Acid capable or recording each individual midi note from my keyboard(like on a grid or something) so that I can move and arrange them as I want? Thanks in advance for all the help.
1) That would depend on the amount of souncards or inputs.
Press RECORD>RECORD DEVICE (drop down box)

2) Yes.

3) Check Don't Transpose

4) Yes, but you need to use Acid Pro 3.0

Peace.... :D

Back