Mute Channel Entirely?

Alphasnail

I am trying to use Sound Forge 6.0 to pan a track entirely to one channel. I want total silence in the other channel. Unfortunately anything I do still leaves a substantial amount of the sound in the muted channel, even though the wave form in that channel is displayed as totally mute. I have tried every variation of the Channel Conversion processing tool with the same result.

If I take the panned track and run it in Acid, it's the same result. Even if I pan an individual track 100% to one side, I can still hear a substantial amount of it in the supposedly mute channel.

Arrrg! Might anyone have a solution?

By "a substantial amount of the sound in the muted channel," do you mean of the track itself, or noise?

If it's the former, you are not panning the tracks right on playback in some way. Do you go out from the soundcard to a mixer?

If the latter, you have something that's adding noise to your system on the way out to the speaker.

If the waveform on the one side is a straight line at -inf, that's dead silence -- there is nothing there to hear.

Yeah, there's gotta be something wrong in your monitor path. You shouldn't be hearing that at all. Please describe your hook-ups in detail.

BTW, the easiest way to do what you want is to highlight the channel and hit Process>Mute.

Last edited:
It could be a (cheesy) lack of channel separation in your monitor path.

If you apply a (hard) mute (erase one channel) does the problem go away?

Back