Lost MP3 conversion in Sound Forge

AlChuck

Hey all,

The other day I installed the latest builds of two of my Sonic -- er, I mean Sony applications, ACID Pro 4 and Vegas Video 3. Afterwards, I went into Sound Forge 5 (of which I already had the last build) to make an MP3, and dound that MP3 is no longer in my menu of choices in the Save As dialog box.

Strange thing is, I can render ACID mixes to MP3, or render the audio part of a Vegas project to MP3...

Anybody encounter this?

Just curious...

What file did you open in SF5? If the file you're working with was opened as an MP3 then that option wouldn't be available because it's already "converted".....

- Tanlith -

It's a WAV.

Tanlith, I don't think that's correct. If I open a WAV or WMA file or anything else, the choice of saving it as a WAV or WMA or any othe other dozen or so formats is there.

I can open MP3s, but I can't save them. If I open an MP3 and edit it, then do a Save, it pops up a mesage box that says, "unable to save in requested format."

Open it as an MP3. Copy and save it as a WAV. Edit it as a WAV. Then save it as an MP3.

That might work, eventhough it will be a little time consuming.

spin

But spin, I can't save it as an MP3 anymore, that 's my whole point -- the option to do so has vanished.

That's happened to me before.....
. but I don't remember what i did to fix it.
.. My situation was that after upgrading from Acid 3 to Acid 4 I lost my mp3 saving ability in Acid 3 and Sound forge 5. So I reinstalled Acid 3 keeping both Acid versions installed. Not the best solution but it worked for me.
Have you checked with Sony?

OK at this point I would retrace the last 2-3 items you installed on your PC AFTER SF5.... if any of them have their OWN codecs for MP3 then there's a chance SF5 doesn't recognize/like the new codec... re-install SF5 over itself... or if you're more comfortable with computers, just find the codec on the CD and re-integrate it into Windows.

- Tanlith -

AlChuck said:
But spin, I can't save it as an MP3 anymore, that 's my whole point -- the option to do so has vanished.

:eek: Oooooooooh, OK. :cool:

Well then, you should try to remedy the situation with the process that pkmusic and tanlith suggested.

Hm’mm

This reminds me to ask you about my problem… (more like dilemma)…

I use Sound Forge 4.5 while on PC and recently I have seen that when I want to save as MP3, SF offers as top rate no more then 22 Hz Stereo !!!

This is no burden or problem but I wonder why on earth and how this happened.

What I like when I record some radio interviews unlike others, Sforge makes MP3’s with flexibility - saved as clean Wav’s.

This way it easier and more clean for other programs to deal with this association rather then "mp3"

Audiograbber as others use external mp3 source , but Sforge relies on its own engine and this makes even less sense why has 44.1 option for MP3 disappeared.

Any hints?

It's back.

I contacted Sonic Foun... -- I mean, SONY Tech Support -- and they told me to try reinstalling. I did, but it didn't work -- it unwrapped the cab files and asked me if I wanted to replace the exiting ones, I said "Yes to all," and it did, but the actual installation never ran, even if I tried to launch the install exe manually... and nothing changed.

They replied back that I should uninstall it first, and also manually delete the folder C:\Program Files\Sonic Foundry\Shared Plug-ins\File Formats\MP3. I did that, reinstalled, re-entered my serial number, and voila, it's back...

Anthony, I'm afraid that I don't understand your dilemma at all. I understand that one can save MP3 data wrapped in a WAV file and it will play -- that is, the WAV format is flexiblke and can encapsulate other types of data -- is that what you are talking about? (There was an article about this in the December 2002 issue of EM, reprinted in their 2004 Computer Music Product Guide - Stealth MP3s by David Battino . But you can't do that from within Sound Forge as far as I know.)

Guess what?

Fixing the missing MP3 encoding ability in Sound Forge 5 has now busted the MP3 encoding ability in my installation of ACID Pro 4 in the same way as before (though it didn't seem to bother Vegas Video 3).

Not a big deal, I usually render ACID projects to WAV, do some half-assed home mastering, and then encode to MP3 from that within Sound Forge.

I suspect the problem is that they have folded the SONY name into the newest versions of their products and had to change names of directories, registry keys, etc., and of course there's something that got missed buried in the code somewhere that causes this stuff to be less than seamless...

AlChuck,

Thanks for that great link article, exactly my point.

Even things you mention are actually confirmation of the same.

You see I use mainly Mac with Pro Tools, PC be something that never left me to become an Apple elitist, virtue not rare among my Mac colleagues.

Good program is a good program, and as people lamented early versions of Paint Shop Pro when compared with PS, look at how fare has the same reached today…same should be spoken when considering Sforge compared with Mac goods.

You probably never heard (long,long ago) but my favorite program was Alchemy, today although it is far more superior in synthesis capability, audio editing is by far superior in Sforge. Sforge actually made me use it less and less :)

Your quote: "But you can't do that from within Sound Forge as far as I know"

Yes you can, at least in this version (4.5) you can.

I’ve captured save screen for you to see the problem exactly:

SFExample.gif

Always could save in any rate so far, but now only up to 22Hz.

Interesting

I guess everyone has their own techniques and learning curve.
Exactly why would one want to use an external editor (SoundForge) when Acid 4.0pro is perfectly capable of tracking, mixing, editing and mastering? And as for the loss of MP3 encoding in one host app and the subsequent instability in another the case is this, with more than one host sharing of codecs is often not allowed, such is the case in file formats between Adobe graphics tools, and many other application setups. I suggest uninstalling SF and putting your mind to doing the same things that you would do there in Acid. Feel free to email me at the address found on my site: www.nanolabsmultimedia.cjb.net and while at the Contact page click the link to Phantom Lights located near the bottom of the page there are three low-res bits of earcandy...
Chris D'Asta CEO, Nanolabs Multimedia

C D'Asta,

Forgive my freedom to comment in this manner,

But the very statements you made comparison about SF and Acid, made me think did you ever in your present life actually worked with Sound Forge?

When you do, first thing on you schedule will be to erase (Edit) this last message of yours.

Time does makes nonsense go away , but this is too much
:confused:

Re: Interesting

C D'Asta said:
.....Exactly why would one want to use an external editor (SoundForge) when Acid 4.0pro is perfectly capable of tracking, mixing, editing and mastering? ...... I suggest uninstalling SF and putting your mind to doing the same things that you would do there in Acid........

C D'Asta, what the HELL are you talking about??????

Back