Keeping it Multitracked?

The First Don

Is it possible to keep tracks seperated when recording 4 tracks from my 4 track to my pc?

So far i've been recording each track individually from my 4 track to the PC and then mixing them in sound forge. This really sucks though because after I eq the tracks and Mix them if it doesn't sound right I have to start completely over.

I have vegas can I do it with that? Or do I still have to edit the starting time of each track to sync them up in sound forge?

Vegas rocks! That's what I use to record bands with. What you do is line up each file in its own track, make your mix, and when you're ready you render the mix to a new file.

This should all be in the manual that came with Vegas.

The four track will only be feeding you a 2-channel mix (stereo). What you SHOULD do, is solo each track, one at a time, and record them to your pc seperately. That way you have the tracks isolated to do futher mixing/editing.

wishtheend said:
The four track will only be feeding you a 2-channel mix (stereo). What you SHOULD do, is solo each track, one at a time, and record them to your pc seperately. That way you have the tracks isolated to do futher mixing/editing.
Not recording digital does lend to one more little problem when you record this way. It's minor and not really much of a hastle, but you will have to do some editing to align your tracks when you import them into Vegas.

With a digital machine, the track starting and stopping points would automatically line up. If you record each track into your pc separately, human error will creep in and give you some lag. Again, it just takes a bit of editing to fix this, but it's something to keep in mind.

Going the route you are, wishtheend's recommendation is probably the best.

Back