How to get Acid7 to UPDATE Plugins list...I have Ghosts

I tried some 3rd-party effects plugins that I eventually deleted.

I cleared the plugins and their directories (folders) from my hard drive, but the Acid 7 Plugin Manager continues to 'see' these 'ghost directories'...

I can't delete them, and right-clicking indicates they're locked.

There is a force rescan option in the plugin manager window however if that doesn't fix it for you I have found this method will completely erase the plugin history and reload it fresh based on what is currently in your VST folder:

You need to find this file

acidpro.plugincache

It's an XML file and is hidden so you may need to enable viewing of hidden folders/files in your search parameters

once found delete it. This is basically the information that tells ACID what plugins are there and it stays in your system even if you delete and reinstall ACID which is why you sometimes end up with duplicates etc as it keeps getting added to and a reintsall of ACID doesn't fix it.

make sure all of your VSTs are in c:\Program Files\VSTPlugIns

Now restart ACID. Since it can no longer find acidpro.plugincache it will rescan c:\Program Files\VSTPlugIns and totally refresh the plugin lists and create a new acidpro.plugincache with all the current details

this is really usefull to remeber if you ever accidently tell the plugin manager to scan the entire C drive for VSTs which will then basically freeze ACID as it tries to load hundreds of thousands of .dll libraries and if you quit the program and restart it will hang on the Splash screen for 45 minutes while the entire drive is scanned for .dll files (I speak from personal experience here which is why I know how to erase the plugin cache)

Hello again, BP. Thanks for the detailed assist. I had already tried the Plugin Manager's Force Rescan as you suggest, but to no avail.

I cannot locate file acidpro.plugincache.

Setting: Folder Options > Advanced > Show hidden files and folders ON

Searched entire C: but found only these two XML files, searching broadly based on wildcarded *acid*:

C:Program FilesSONY ACID Pro 7.0acidpro.seed.xml

C:Program FilesSony SetupSONY ACID Pro 7.0maincabacidpro.seed.xml

I see a few other XML files in the search list, so I'm sure my search can see them (XMLs are not hidden). Is it possible that acidpro.seed is the correct XML file, rather than acidpro.plugincache?

OK try this

open mycomputer folder

Click: Tools-> Folder Options -> view (tab at the top)
Select/Check: Display the Contents of System Folder
Select: Show Hidden files and folder
Click: Apply

Close the dialogue box

Now go back to the my computer folder

Click: C -> Documents & settings -> select the active user profile (not administrator but whatever your user is) -> Local Settings -> Application Data -> Sony -> Acid Pro -> 7.0

in that final folder is where acidpro.plugincache is located

That works on my XP system anyway

Bristol P ==

Thanks very much. I did find the file by following the path you provided. For other readers, that path is as follows:

C:\Documents and Settings\User (per your system)\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony\ACID Pro\7.0\acidpro.plugincache.xml

I'm pretty well versed in Windows XP but something has occured that I've never seen happen before:

Windows Search will not find the file if I search from the Local Settings level of the path, or any level higher in the path.
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony\ACID Pro\7.0\acidpro.plugincache.xml

Windows Search will find the file if I search from the Application Data level or any lower/deeper level in the path.
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony\ACID Pro\7.0\acidpro.plugincache.xml

VERY STRANGE. I can't imagine why Windows Search cannot find the file until I drill down to at least the Local Settings subfolder - and search that directory and its subdirectories...

In any case, I drillled all the way down per your excellent instructions. The file was exactly where you said it would be. I would NEVER have found this otherwise. :drunk::drunk::drunk:

I've made note of the file name and location, and your advice on the subject. Will delete the file and rebuild the plugins directory tomorrow, and will report the results for the record.

Thanks very much, Bristol Posse.

Last edited:
It worked perfectly.

I simply deleted the existing file, then restarted Acid Pro 7.

Acid regenerated a new version of the file when the program started, and now everything is as it should be. When I dump the old, half-baked sidechain compression plugin I'm using I'll just delete it, then delete the acidpro.plugincache.xml file, then restart Acid.

I think the v8 Plugin Manager window needs a button that will do this automatically...

Thanks, Bristol Posse. Where do you find information such as this? Did Sony Tech Support provide it?

Thanks, Bristol Posse. Where do you find information such as this? Did Sony Tech Support provide it?

I got it rom a guy at sony creative after I had inadvertantly set version 6 to scan the entire c drive and it was taking 45 minutes to load and completely unusable because there were so many .dll files loaded in the backround

After changing the plugin folders, reintalling etc didn't work and I was at the point of almost doing a complete reinstall of windows one of the guys at Sony found this solution from one of the developers I believe.

It's a usefull little trick I have found

Clarification: SONY's failure to provide a simple, documented solution is what's ridiculous.
Your workaround is excellent and much appreciated.

Just want to be clear about that.

No worries
It seems this is what the force rescan *should* do but doesn't, reliably. Maybe it will be fixed in the next update. Forced rebuild wasn't there before version 7D so it's only been a feature for a couple of months

Same problem - still no solution

hi folks,

i had a full working ACID 7e working.
after my graphic card crashed (nVIDIA gtx 8800) it still worked with all plugins.
after 2 days i had the same problem like mentioned in this threat.

plugins are missing...cant rescan the folders I have them in.
I figured out that I had some problems with the .net framework so I
found a solution to totally remove the framework intallation and reinstall the newest version + the 2.0 framework, what is needed to install acid 7 (just btw.)
still no success!

so I googled, found this page in here and dit it like mentioned:
searching the acid cache data (found 3 of them)....deleted all of them,
opend again acid 7e, but still doesnt work! acid doesnt want to scan anything...
...when I press the button it looks like it searches but then immediately stops again.

I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE!!!
I need to finish one mix for a single release and I cant continue without the plugins.

ANYBODY KNOWS ANY SOLUTION?

Sadmillk ==

I'm the original poster here, and brother, I feel your pain. I assume you are using Windows XP or XPpro.
Here is the only suggestion I can make:

Go back and read posts #3, 4, 5 and 6 very carefully.

Make absolutely sure you are following the exact PATH to the file as indicated in those posts. Re-read my commments about how Windows XP could not find the file unless I began my searching from several subdirectories deeper than the root directory. You must first go to the directory I indicated, and then search based on the file name.

Make sure you understand exactly which file must be deleted. I think you are not searching the correct file name. You mention finding three (3) acid cache data files. This seems to indicate a mistake. There is only ONE of the file that must be deleted.

Relax and carefully study posts 3, 4, 5 and 6 above. Follow those instructions exactly and you should be fine. If not, your problem is probably with the NET framework, which may require a system reinstall.

PLEASE REPORT YOUR RESULTS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE SUCCESSFUL.

Here's what I mean:
Open Windows Explorer and work your way down to the Application Data directory as shown below:
The path is: C:\Documents and Settings\ (your user name)\Local Settings\Application Data

search_from_app-data.jpg

ONLY AFTER YOU GET THERE, use the Explorer SEARCH Button to search based on the file name acidpro.plugincache.xml. Only then will XP be able to locate the file.

The complete path is:
C:\Documents and Settings\User (per your system)\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony\ACID Pro\7.0\acidpro.plugincache.xml

Then delete the file and restart Acid 7. It should rebuild the file fresh.

ok, I AM SPEECHLESS!!!!!

I made everything like you told me....and I found the right one...(I DIT RIGHT BEFORE TOO, BUT ANYWAY ;-)

okay, here a small story of my last days:

after i tried really everything I just decided to reinstall my system totally! (I HAVE 3 operating systems running on my comp on different partitions) XP PRO / XP64 SERVER EDITION and WINDOWS7

after I successfully reinstalled the XP system and installed everything what is necessary my system worked like never before...in combo with the fireface800...JUST DOPE!
had the current mix I am still working on opened with I dont know how many plugs.....workied perfectly last night....and today.....programm crashed....and since the crash I have the same problem like before!!!! AGAIN!!!!!!!!

cant understand it....maybe there is a problem with a PLUGIN, causing such a drama on my system???
I also tried again to locate and delete the "acidpro.plugincache.xml" data.....no problem!
but when opening acid again....NOTHING! doesnt scan while opening!

HELP!!!!

I don't know what else to suggest, but you're right about the possibility of a glitch in one of your many plugins. Some are really half-baked, especially among the ones you can download for free. I stick with what came with Acid 7, and while there are some important functions missing (like a side-chain compressor/limiter) the kit is amazingly capable compared to the limited hardware gear I used to use.

Are you running Acid 7.0e on XP Pro? I don't have a clear answer for you, but I would like to know.

When you reinstalled your system (I assume XP pro) did you simply restore it from a backup? I ask because you seem to have accomplished it in less than a day, and it would take me about a week to do a fresh reinstall of XP and the applications I use.

If you really just RESTORED from an archived system backup, there may be a problem already existing in that archive. For example, the NET Framework can cause mysterious problems if it gets corrupted, or if you attempted to update/repair it without following the VERY, VERY SPECIFIC steps prescribed my Microsoft.

As a last resort, use Sony's email Tech Support for Acid 7. It's free, and sometimes they are very helpful/intelligent. Explain your problem and see if they're aware of a fix.

Tom

Maybe nothing but try this:
1. Delete the Acid 7 plugin cache file as decribed above.
2. REBOOT YOUR SYSTEM.
3. Start Acid 7 and see if it scans for plugins.
Maybe you need to reboot your OS before opening Acid again...

Back