Focusrite Scarlett Solo issue with distorted waveform

MaryAnn

Hi....my first time on the forum. I recently purchased a focusrite Scarlett solo preamp. I record audiobooks in my home. For the past several weeks when I am saving my work on Audacity, The waveform shrinks to nearly a flat line. The audio is fine...but the distorted form does not allow me to edit again. This happens randomly so I never know when it will occur. I have been in touch with Audacity....and they have not had any other such issues reported. I have used Audacity for more than 10 years and have never had a problem. The only thing that I can figure out is that it is a glitch in my new interface....thoughts?

Hi....my first time on the forum. I recently purchased a focusrite Scarlett solo preamp. I record audiobooks in my home. For the past several weeks when I am saving my work on Audacity, The waveform shrinks to nearly a flat line. The audio is fine...but the distorted form does not allow me to edit again. This happens randomly so I never know when it will occur. I have been in touch with Audacity....and they have not had any other such issues reported. I have used Audacity for more than 10 years and have never had a problem. The only thing that I can figure out is that it is a glitch in my new interface....thoughts?
What does "saving my work" mean? Are you saving the Audacity project, exporting the edited recording, a portion, etc? Does this happen if you just record something, listen (and it sounds Ok) and export to a non-lossy format in the Solo's default/configured sample rate without modification?

Is the Focusrite [control] software installed the latest, and can you reset the interface to some original state with that?

Have you check the F'rite site to confirm that the installed driver (assuming Windows) is current for your version of the OS?

I record individual chapters, save them as WAV files on Audacity, then export them for approval and ultimately mastering. Yes...I record, listen, edit, then export. The problem arises during the exporting phase. I work with a tech partner who did all of the installation. He is very knowledgeable and is also baffled. He is the one who thinks that the problem may be with the Solo. I have only had it for a month or so...it is under warranty.

The export should be using Audacity libraries, and unlikely to use anything related to the Solo.

Windows/Audacity version?

Are you exporting to the default WAV (16-bit) or do you choose "other" and select 24-bit, which is what I assume the project is in?

If you have one of those files that look wrong and can't be edited, can you post those somewhere we could look at it?

OK...Windows 7 and the newest Audacity version...2.3. Exporting default WAV (16 bit). Trying to figure out how to attach a pic of the problem. Told that I cannot yet post a link until I have posted more. Will try to post the pic later.

OK...Windows 7 and the newest Audacity version...2.3. Exporting default WAV (16 bit). Trying to figure out how to attach a pic of the problem. Told that I cannot yet post a link until I have posted more. Will try to post the pic later.
You can post a "link" by excluding the https:// part I think, or if that fails, separate the domain name parts, e.g. "dropbox . com" and we'll put it together.

Have you managed to solve the problem?

Back