clicks?

prsdeb24

I'm having a problem with the Sound Forge program that I hope someone can help me with. I'm currently recording on a Boss BR-8 digital recorder. I use that to mix into the Sound Forge program so that I can burn a CD of my songs. Everything is working fine but when I listen to the finished CD there is a "click" in the beginning of each song. According to the "help" files the pre-load buffer may need to be set to 0 to correct the problem. When I checked this, it was already set to 0. So I guess my question is this. Do I need a better soundcard? I don't know exactly what's in the computer now except that it's the one that came with it.
The computer is a HP-4535 if that's any help. Thanks in advance

When you record your songs into Sound Forge, do you truncate the beginning and the end of the song before you save it?

Hi prsdeb24,

You shouldn't be getting clicks from your SF CD burns, but it could be because SF only does track-at-once burning. The best solution would be to process your songs in SF, save them as separate WAV files, and then use a separate CD burning application (like Nero: www.nero.com) to burn your CD using disc-at-once burning. Disc-at-once is the most reliable way to burn a CD.

Best,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Power!, Sound Forge Power!, and SONAR Power! books, and Publisher of the DigiFreq music technology newsletter. Learn about cool tips and techniques for your music software by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... go to:
http://www.garrigus.com/

SPINSTERWUN....not sure what you mean by truncate? If you mean taking out some of the excess space at the beginning and end of the recording.......Yes, I have been doing that.

SCOTT.......I am saving as a wav file and then using the program that came with my CD burner to burn the whole CD at once. It almost sounds like a click or pop as if you were pushing a button on a analog tape recorder. I can't decide if the click is coming from when I turn on the BR-8 or when I hit the record button on SF program. I've tried it both ways and also tried deleting the first couple seconds of space and the click just moves to that point.
If you have any other sugesstions, I'd really appreciate it. I have made "exact" copies from other CD's without any problems and have also burned CD's from mp3's that I downloaded from the internet without this problem.

Thanks to both of you, Scott and Spinsterwun!

Hi prsdeb24,

When you truncate files, you must make sure that you're cutting at the zero-crossings in the audio waveform. If you don't, you'll get clicks.

In Sound Forge, choose Options>Auto Snap To Zero to activate the zero-crossings feature. Now you should be able to truncate your files without introducing clicks.

Best,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Power!, Sound Forge Power!, and SONAR Power! books, and Publisher of the DigiFreq music technology newsletter. Learn about cool tips and techniques for your music software by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... go to:
http://www.garrigus.com/

Yeah, prsdeb24, that is what I was asking you.

Do you cut your samples at exactly the point in which it crosses the 0 point line.

If you don't truncate (cut, edit) the sample at the 0 point then you will get clicks. :)

Once you find the vicinity in which you want to edit the sample, magnify the WAV. to 1/1 ratio. That should enable you to see exactly where you should truncate the sample.

The click is probably not coming from you CD burner.

I hope this helps your problem. :)

spin

Just to add fuel to the fire, when I used to use an old version of easy CD creator that came free with my burner, I would get clicks at the start of each song - even when ripping a copy of an audio CD. Using better software like Nero eliminated the problem.

Ben

Back