Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Bit Depth for recording

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I wouldn't say a man known for his sonic excellence is all that weird, beyond the engineering excellence stratosphere, but Ken MacBeth seems to have 2-3 dmt8 around to help him sell his designs.

https://youtu.be/V8B3e038tCc
    https://youtu.be/FJ1LWCCeT4U

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure he wasn't referring to Mr. Macbeth.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

Thanks
    Ya, but what good is lower floor noise if the recording doesn't sound "superb" as is characterized in the old SOS reviews. 1995 16-bit doesn't automatically suck. One had the option of going for something that sounds good. I don't buy into SOS all that much, but I think they have to be careful when the graduate from very good to excellent to superb. So, with a modern Tascam do we look for very good, or, what ?

Thanks
    My diagnosis is that he came from the roland vs-1880, which has really think, bright, even shrill preamps, to the Tascam which has cheap, yet 3 generations newer, electronics and he is missing the brightness that should have never been there in the first place. He thinks there is something wrong with the new stuff, because he is used to the old.

Unfortunately, in order to get the same I/O in the "superb" category, he will need to spend nearly 20 times what the Tascam's cost him. I am assuming that isn't realistic.

Your suggestions for audiophile home stereo equipment, two channel interfaces from 10 years ago and 8 channel tape decks from 20 years ago entirely miss the point of the op's question and situation. (Never mind the philosophical ramblings about what sounds good now vs. future, ancient stereo power amps, and the stuff you have in your collection that sounds great, but isn't plugged in)
    Jay Walsh

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Farview For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My 8-channel Layla 3g is 10-years ago. It mustered a "very good" from SOS.

I'm saying to Patrick (whose name I haven't forgot), to think of the possible upgrade to something that sounds good . The implication is that it's $1000 + (and retail discounted) and not just buying a makeover of the same low-mid level borderland. All channels, most likely, don't have to be the same quality - you can get a good eight and stack on a ada8000 for the drummer. I didn't say buy something old, I said buy something that sounds good.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to garww For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm sure he would have never thought of buying something that sounds good. That's great advice!
    Jay Walsh

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farview For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi Guys:
    Thank you for all your comments and advice. I read them all. I have also talked earlier today with two guys from two different music equipment stores and after describing the Tascam 16X08's shortcomings, one suggested PreSonus Audiobox 1818VSL 18-Channel USB Interface. His point that many of his co-workers were recording with Presonus and were happy with it. The other guy suggested:
    Roland UA-1610 Studio-Capture USB 2.0 Audio Interface. The description is below:
    With 16 inputs and 10 outputs -- including 12 XLR microphone preamps -- this Roland USB interface has all the I/O you need for serious multitrack recording.
    i have also heard about Focusrite. Any comments, suggestions, preferences with reasons? Just a reminder, my original dissatisfaction with Tascam was the lack of clear high frequency signals. Thanks.

Patrick

Thanks
    Actually I am not sure whether one can post different brands of interfaces BY NAME on this site. This might lend itself to free advertizing for the gear, but if it is okay to do that , then please comment on the Roland UA 1610, and the Presonus also. Thanks.

Patrick

Thanks
    Focuswrong has that Clarett octoPre (???)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Farview View Post
    The adantage to more bit depth is a lower noise floor.
    How does that work?

Thread Information