Acoustic Mirror test tones?

sucram

Does anyone know where I can download the Acoustic Mirror test tones? According to the manual and the help file, they're supposed to be on the SF 5.0 CD-ROM in a folder named "test tones", but this folder isn't on my CD, and there are no files I found which seem like they'd be them. The CD was purchased from Sonic Foundry when they came out with version 5.0. I emailed Sonic Foundry, but am too anxious to wait for their reply.

How many users have made their own impulses? Also, if I used a wave file or sound as a test tone, would this be akin to Cool Edit's convolution? Anybody tried this out?

Thanks in advance,

marcus

got the tones

Sonic Foundry got back to me (less than 24 hours, which I consider pretty good). I found the tones (they're in the Sound Forge update section).

I'm still interested in others who have made their own impulses.

-marcus

Yeah, I think I've downloaded all of Beamsonic's impulses. Of course, I have no clue what all the real gear sounds like, so I can't say anything about how close the effects sound.

In looking for the test tones, I stumbled upon all of the Sonic Foundry impulses, which I hadn't copied off the CD-ROM when I installed SF 5.0. I'm looking forward to testing them out. I also recall somewhere on the web, that there are Lexicon impulses, but I'm not sure where they are. But they exist somewhere.

I could probablyfigure it out at home, but are the impulse files just wav files, and if so, in what resolution? I'd be really interested in trying out convolution by using some odd wav that was not based on a test tone in an acoustic environment. Perhaps the end result would be similar to a vocoder???

Thanks for the reply,

marcus

The Lexicon and TC impulses you're looking for were distributed by Sek'd. I believe they used to make a program that worked similar to the way AM does, and you could interchange impulse files. I don't see any info on their site about that product or the impulses anymore. So, I'm not sure where you'd find them now. :(

impulses

I purchased samplitude impulse files. They sounded good, but still not the quality I'm looking for. I don't know if software reverb is gonna cut it. I still prefer my Alesis nanoverb for mixing and live work. Stereo files are a must for getting the best result in acoustic mirror.

Back