ACID Crashing Constantly

NickSpringfield

I recently upgraded my comp and when I did so, I lost my ACID Pro 4.0 with it and unfortunately lost the disk. Well after a few weeks, I had realized that I had a copy of it on my other computer which I haven't used in like two years. Low and behold, the set-up files and all associated files where there too so I burned a copy and installed it to the new machine. Well everything was working just fine until... it started constantly crashing on me. I'll record a take and instead of playing, it says "Building Peaks" and distorts the rest of the tracks at the same time and never fixes itself, so I have to keep shutting the program down and re-opening it like every 10 min. or so. This has put a huge damper on my music, because it just doesn't seem worth it to go through all the trouble. It totally f*cks the creative process too.

Does anyone else have this problem? It can't be my machine, because I've used it for years on that machine with no problems. The only upgrading I've done was added a second harddrive and more RAM so that should be better, not worse. Ugh. Any suggestions?

-Springfield

You say you added RAM.... it could very well have some bad spots in it.

See if you can download some programs to do a very thorough check...
You could also try taking out half the memory and seeing if the program crashes and if not then pop in the other half (that's a way of determining which DIMM is bad.)

I also have a problem with it crashing, but it's at other instances. Generally, about 80% of the time, it crashes whenever I hit the "Start" button on the recording screen. It really pisses me off, especially when I absent-mindedly forget to save before I go to record something else. Anyone else have this problem?

Back