why do you use a workstation?

A1A2

hi, I just can't figure this out on my own. Why would you want a all-in-one box workstation when you have a computer handy? and since you have one, what role does the computer play for you, editing?
lastly, you still use outboard effects, right? or there are plug-ins within the workstation?

because of different reasons. Portability, doesn't crash, no time needed to get it working etc, works out of the box. (plug and play.) Don't like to work with computers. (it's my job, I don't like to stare at another monitor at home)

There are effects in the workstation. (VS1880) I can use 4 effects processors at the same time, and pingpong tracks with effects on them if necessary...

Don't use a computer. All sequencing is done on hardware sequencer of my friend, sampling on his sampler, editing on my workstation or his sampler. But we really are live-orientated, so we don't need too much editing... Cut and paste is all we need.

And compressors, micpres. You need them too with a pc...

Oh, and my pc is where I reside during the week, workstation at the weekend-hideout....

I've got a VS840Ex. Why do I use it? Because it DOES have everything in one box! I must admit I do use my computer for MIDI and mastering and that is because I can't play the drums, and recording a full string section is just too much to do with real musicians. When using it to master my mix, not much has to be done (a majority is already done on my 840). All my editing and mixing is done on my 840.

One distinct advantage over a computer with a workstation is that you actually have faders that you can play with (instead of moving just one at a time on the computer.

As for plug-in's in the workstation, for a gutarist, it contains all the BOSS pedal effects, which are all tweakable. It also contains mic sims etc which can all be mixed together.

I do know that some people use out-board effects because some effects or processors aren't up to scratch on the 840, such as the compressors which everyone seem to talk about in the lack of quality of them.

I guess it's strokes for folkes. I was finding that in front of a computer I was losing my creative flare. I used to do a lot more MIDI on my recordings last year than I do this year and that's because I want to be acoustic in my songs. I used to always have a MIDI bass. To make my recordings sound better I went and bought myself a Bass Guitar.

The ability to record anywhere anytime is a great advantage. I recorded a sperformance of a song which I wrote at my engagement party. I couldn't see myself taking my 'hi-tower', monitor, keyboard, mouse and a mixing desk along to record it there, I just took along my workstation!!

Anyway, I've got to get back to work... just have to give my point of view.

Porter

Back