VS1680 & Mastering

junior

In continuing my research to provide me with the best recording equipment for my needs, I'm wondering if the sound quality of the Roland VS1680 would be as good using a mixer,ADAT,software etc. Particularly, will the Roland be sufficient for recording and mixing my music to send to a mastering house, or would the another setup similar to the one I mentioned be better?

The 1680, using the highest quality mode, is most certainly good enough. I've heard stories of pros recording tracks on 1680s while on the road that were actually used on commerically released discs. I have no idea if that's really true, but the quality is good enough that I could believe it happened. The other options you mentioned might give you more power and flexibility in terms of recording and editing depending on the setup, but I wouldn't be concerned about the sound quality of the Roland VS workstations in the uncompressed mode from what I have heard with my own ears.

One such pro release was the Elvis Coltello/Burt Bachrach tour album. According to Mix Magazine's VS1680 review 7 songs on that were done entirely in a 1680.

If you can get good sounding mixes on ADAT, you'll do at least as well on the 1680 after you learn it (and learn to trust it). I really like the random access, no waiting for rewinds, hit a locator and BAM!! you're there. Over a whole project the time savings really add up!

Back