VS1680 fader problems

Daan_Theman

I've just started using the VS1680 and i'm having some really frustrating problems. Basically I'm recording an acoustic song, 2 tracks of guitar on tracks 1 and 2, and 2 tracks of vocals on tracks 3 and 4. I have no problem recording the tracks, but playback of tracks 3 and 4 is controlled with faders 1 and 2. the faders on tracks 3 and 4 do nothing even though I am positive i have recorded the vocals on those tracks. HELP!!

Hi Daan,
Please make sure the group function is turned off for channels 1,2,3 and 4.
Press the TRACK button for the tracks and look at the parameter 'Group'. If it says anything else than 'Off', then the faders of those tracks are grouped, that is: one fader can control the level of all the other faders in the same group.
So let's say you put track 1, 2, 3 and 4 on group '1', you can control the level of all those tracks with one fader of any channel in the same group.

Another possibility is that you shared an insert effect between two tracks (one track has an effect inserted as INS L, the other as INS R). Now the effect of both tracks goes to the summing (read master) bus and no matter what you do with the fader of one track, the signal always goes through to the master bus.

Just some suggestions.

Cheers

Arthur

The faders may be broken.

When I first bought my 1680 used, the fader for 9/10 controlled tracks 15/16 also, but the fader for 15/16 did nothing.

I had to get it repaired and they ended up having to replace the fader for 15/16 and now all is well. They said it was just a bad fader. That bad fader cost me $100, though.... :(

But hopefully in your case, it's just the grouping thing.

Daan
Are you seeing the track levels on 3 & 4 when you play back? You say you've got 2 tracks of guitar and two tracks of vocal. Are they each separate takes or stereo parts? How are you miking and routing your inputs? Let us know if you resolve this.

Yes I'm seeing track levels on 3 & 4. In the recording process, I have 2 mics on the guitar in inputs 1 and 2 routed to tracks 1 and 2. Then, I use the same mics for the vocals, in inputs 1 and 2 and reroute them to tracks 3 and 4.
Tracks 1 and 2 are being recorded in the same take, and tracks 3 and 4 are recorded in the second take.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sandwoman:
Daan
Are you seeing the track levels on 3 & 4 when you play back? You say you've got 2 tracks of guitar and two tracks of vocal. Are they each separate takes or stereo parts? How are you miking and routing your inputs? Let us know if you resolve this.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The track mute button.....Is it set to track for monitoring the tracks? That happened to me. I had it set to input alot at first because inputs 1 and 2 were what I used to record 3 and 4. Just because your fader is up doesn't mean that the track is turned up. You have to switch to track on the input/mute button and then raise the volume with the fader.

Back