VS-2400cd and TC Helicon VoiceWorks PLus

Rhythm2DD

Hi.. I just found your forum tonight and hopefully you can help me...I have a VS-2400cd and just purchased the TC-Helicon Voiceworks Plus...I have no experience with assigning aux busses but have followed all the "manual" instructions of both units to no avail...I have a "pre-recorded" voice already in the VS and want to apply the "effects" from the TC to this "pre-recoreded voice"(which they said could be done). Apparently I must be doing something wrong in the way I am assigning the channels or hooking it up...Could someone with a little experience in this area help me? Thanks..:)

Since I have a hard time explaining things from memory, I will post a step by step tonight when I get home and can see what i am doing on my VS2400.
It can be done easily enough, but the manuals for these things are not real clear.

Doug

Thank you Doug!
I can hardly wait to try it out....I am exausted in my efforts....also the "clipping" light on the TC keeps going off...My main goal in all this is to put effects and "harmonies" to already... like I said "pre-recorded voices"....I want to take my voice and by recording to other tracks....sound like a group of people by using the numerous effects... Although some of the presets in the TC have to have "chord accompanient" to make the harmonies work....there are many presets that don't....right now...if I could just get the effects like "doubling"... (simular to the ones within the VS).....hopefully it will be a break through in figuring out how to control the harmony presets...
The TC is really something and there is absolutely no problem using it without the VS....
I am not a great singer so I really need to "pre-record" my voice in order to get it sounding right...before the effects are added...
There probably is something really simple that I am missing...a matter of turning a knob on or off?....setting it up wrong?...assigning it incorrectly?...I have no clue...like I said....I have never tried to assign busses before to any external processor...I should be able to hear the effect before I record it...correct? When I set up the VS up to record to the 2 tracks effected by the TC....the meter also does not move...like the VS is not receiving the effect from the TC...
Well Doug I will check back later...thanks again so very much...I can't express how much I appreciate this....
Barb
I probably need to start all over at square one and undo what I have already tried...looking forward to using your guidance...

Last edited:
The first thing to do is get the hardware part wired up.
I will assume you have your monitors wired from the master outs on the front end of the VS2400. Right next to the master outs are the Aux A out. Two outputs L and R, unless you plan on going in and out and back in and out in stereo, it doesn't matter which out you come from. Go from a output to the input of you TC unit. Then from the TC unit out back to an input channel on the top of the VS2400. That should take care of the hard wiring.
Now on your VS2400 screen menu go to the tab on top EZ ROUTING, then click on routing view. This will bring up the part of the internal routing to be able to get your vocal track from your VS2400 thru your TC and recorded to another track.
On the far upper right of the routing view screen, there is a button that sez DIRECT TRACK OUT, push that, it will lite up yellow. You will see all the tracks (1-24) listed in pairs along the right side, These reference your recorded tracks.At the top where it sez ANALOG MULTI OUTPUT, picture this as a representation of the back of the VS2400(because that is what it is) the outputs 1-2 are your main outs, 3-4 are you aux outs. If you are coming out of 3, then you can come out of any of the odd # channels, and 4 would be even channels. In other words, If your vocal track is recorded on track 10, you need to have it hard wired from the VS aux outs from 4 (the right) 3 - 4 are labeled left and right on the top of the VS.
Just as an example I will say the vocal track is on 10. You would want to move the virtual cables on the screen from the default position of channels 5-6 (on the right) down to the 9-10 position. This is when how you have the output hard wired matters. ALL of this is just ins and outs. That is the most logical way to think of it. So now you have it set up for your vocal track to go out of the VS in to your TC back out to a input channel. For example, you plug it in channel 5, You now have to arm that channel to record, turn the input level up(just think of it as recording another instrument) On the Routing screen you have to change the virtual cables to monitor the track you are recording to. For my example, drag down the pair from the default position from track 1-2 to 5-6. You do this to monitor what you are recording . If you had this senerio set up, when you went to record, you would hear tracks 5 and 6. 6 may be someting else, but 5 would be what you where recording to. It always comes across in pairs odd is left and even is right, when you are recording like this (unless stereo) you will only hear the one side (L or R)
Very important, turn the amp down on your monitors (or if active monitors, turn there volume down)when you are recording like this, the master volume does not work, the incoming level is based on the out going level of the original track. If the signal path is set up correctly, you should be able to hit record and hear just the vocal track in one channel and adjust the TC unit and hear the changes. After you record the effected track, to hear everything again, you have to go back to the routing view and and hit the yellow track direct out button to off. Well, I read this and I'm confused, I do this all the time and it's not that complicated, but it's strange explaining it. If you have any more questions, just ask, I will try to clearify myself. If you really look at that routing screen and picture it as ins and outs, it starts to make more sense. Good Luck!
Doug

Great Doug!....I just printed out a copy of your directions and am going now to try it out...I will report to you as soon as I get done....
Barb

Doug...until I get used to the EZ routing...for my purposes...
my voice is on track 1...
I am plugged into Aux 3....and
from the TC to Vs into track 5....
Do I have to move any of the virtual default setup tracks or is it correct to leave everything where it is?

If your are coming out of track 1, you would still have to move your virtual cables 3-4 up to read tracks 1-2, that would connect the signal from track one to go out to the TC unit, then what ever input track you put the physical cable from the TC into the VS, thats the virtual track on the analog multi output you would want to monitor. if you want to record the effected signal on say track 5, make sure the input on channel 5 is up then arm it to record. This is all based on your monitors connected to your master outs.

Thanks again Doug...
I had to go over to my mom's (almost 89) to do a few things for her and I just got back. This here 61 year old lady is kinda tired tonight...lol... so more and likely I will get back to the VS & TC tomorrow instead of tonight....
Doug...is there a way to set up monitoring for this project just through headphones so I don't bother anyone in the house while I am experimenting? Nite for now...I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow...thanks again so very much...
Barb

Do I just unplug the monitors and plug in the headphones then?
Doug I just set everything up...I can see the TC meter receiving the signal from track one....I hear the voice (alone no music) coming out of one monitor but none of the effects from the TC are effecting the voice....I recorded and it records just the uneffected voice from track 1 to track 5....everything is working but the effects from the TC....

Well it sounds like the signal path is correct since you have the vocals coming thru to a recorded track. You will only hear a left or right side when you are recording this way, remember the signal path is mono. Unfortunately, I am not familier with the TC unit, I do have a Lexicon effects unit that i run this way and as long as there is no bypass on, I will always get an effected signal back. What model # is that TC? How are you monitors hooked up? If they go thru an amp (passive monitors), don't turn it on. If you have active monitors (powered) just leave them off.There should be no reason to unplug them. Of course headphones should be just plugged in the headphone jack.
If I could see the back (connections in and out ) of the TC, maybe I could figure out why your not getting an effected signal.
Doug

Another bit of info...yesterday I also plugged the TC into the monitors alone and fed the voices from the VS to see if the effects would work and they did....

It's pretty clear on the in and outs, possible you can come out with the left or right channel or both, you might try both to two separate inputs on the top of the VS.It's possible some effects only work in stereo. I also don't think you can monitor from headphones.

Ok...I will try and find another 1/4 cable around here somewhere to try the TC stereo approach...I'll get back to you in a while....

Doug...It is working!!....Thanks to you! :) Because I didn't have another 1/4 cable I unplugged the 2 monitors from the VS to free myself one more cable to try the stereo thru the TC...I went into the EZ routing and pulled down the virtual 7/8 where the headphone jack is to 5/6...thought I'd give it try seeing all I didn't have an extra cable anyway....when I recorded...there the extra voices were. It must be the stereo setup.....I am so grateful to you Doug....you have truly made my day and my weekend....
Usually with the Vs..before I record with it's effects board.....I get to preview til I find the one I like....I think with the TC ....I will probably have to record and change to different presets as I am recording then erase the track...before I finalize my choice...Doug...again...I never, never figured this out on my own...Thanks for all your time and effort...God Bless...
Barb
Here in Michigan...we are about to get a severe thunderstorm....it is rumbling and getting closer so I will have to record when everything lets up...I am going to go to your profile area and leave you the site of where I have put up some of the songs I have completed...without the TC....As I am learning more about the VS...the sound quality and mixes have improved somewhat...If you click on "newest songs" it will take to the last ones done...Next project will be...recording in a more isolated room here in the house where I won't be picking up all the sounds around me...Well Doug take care and have a really great weekend!
Barb :)

Great, I am glad everything is working. The routing screen can be a little confusing. If you ever have any other questions feel free to ask, I have had my VS2400 for about 4 years and still don't know everything. This web site is really helpful also.
http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/
Doug

Thanks Doug...
When it finally sinks in about the routing screen...I hopefully won't be as confused...I sure will keep you in mind for future questions...which always arise when I am trying to accomplish something with the 2400 that I never needed until then...it's just like with the computer...I bought one and didn't have a clue....taught myself as I went....but now with the 2400...I thankfully have you when I get into trouble.....lol...
Thanks also for the site....it's funny....at the very same time I found your forum (google)...I found the one you mentioned and placed the same questions there as I did here.. not knowing from which I would get a response from...
As it ended up....it took a person with patience who was willing to take the time to type it all out in plain english so I could "print it out" and accomplish the objective step by step as you laid it out in your directions...thanks Doug... :)
Right now I am deciding which harmonies will fit where.. on a couple of pre-recorded songs...figuring what levels will work best...seeing all the vocals are not all on track one....I will have to keep moving the "virtual cables"...alot to think of for sure...
Also...Probably tomorrow...I'm going to drag the keyboard back out to where the VS is and hopefully through the midi setup... get the "notes & chords " part of the TC to work with the "pre-recorded voice"...that way....the harmonies will be right on...When I play the "chords" the harmonies will follow the correct harmonies and not wander...we will see... :)
Well Doug...Thanks again....I have put you as one of my "desktop shortcuts"....so I don't forget how to find you... :) Take care...
Barb

Back