Speaker simulations for Alesis M1 active Mk2

Boray

Speaker simulations for Alesis M1 active Mk2

WARNING: Written by "Boray, the mad scientist".

These simulations require you to have the Alesis M1 active Mk2 monitors. All the numbers are to be input to the 10 band graphical EQ of the VS, the first to 31.2Hz ...and the last to 16kHz. The first group of simulations (my old DUX stereo) only requires one EQ inserted at master. These simulations are made according to my new EQ method: http://www.vsplanet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=012867
This provides a very similar sound that is (almost) independant of room acoustics.

”DUX”, Dux Sound Project TAPC4000 with DX181 speakers (30W, 1.2W sensitivity). A ”hi-fi” stereo that’s about 25 years old:
8 -10 4 -1 -5 -7 -8 -9 -3 -6 (level +4dB)

”DUX BASS”, The same stereo but with the bass knob turned up a bit:
12 -8 5 -1 -5 -7 -8 -9 -3 -6 (level +4dB)

”DUX MINI BASS”, The same stereo but with the bass knob turned all the way down:
-12 -12 -12 -5 -6 -7 -8 -9 -3 -6 (level +4dB)

----

All the rest of the simulations are made according to my old simulation method: ( http://www.vsplanet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=011432 ). All of them are made for my old DUX stereo and for that room. So for them to work, you have to insert both one of the DUX simulations + one of the simulations below. As your Alesis nearfield monitors (when placed correctly) are less sensitive to room acoustics than my old stereo is, it is likely that some of the room acoustics is captured into the DUX simulations above. BUT as my intention with my new method was to minimize the impact of the room, you should have in mind that the acoustics of my room is quite much replaced by yours, making the simulations a bit invalid. All of them are also made on the VS840 that don’t have an identical EQ as the VS1680 (probably)... Anyway.... Since the purpose of simulations is simply to try how your mix sounds on different systems, and as you don’t know how the originals sounded, they are probably about as useful to you as Roland’s simutations are to people with Roland monitors. They don’t know how the originals sounded either...

Note: You may have to change the input gain of the EQ to avoid distortion.

----
Group one requires the ”DUX” simulation. Insert the simulation X like this:
-> X -> ”DUX” -> Out to Alesis, where X is:

Alesis M1 active Mk2 (Now you can simulate your own monitors)
-5 6 -10 -7 -1 -1 0 1 -6 -2

Sharp Stereo music center SG-20 with Luxor KH 821-1 speakers (by my computer):
0 -1 -6 5 7 12 8 2 -1 2

The DUX stereo, but with Sharp CP-20 HS speakers (50W) Near the speaker. Done in the same room.
-12 -12 1 3 -1 3 4 10 3 5

Sanyo MCD-Z7F (Portable CD player, ”Boombox”, in the kitchen, a bit away (there is another, probably better simulation in group 3)
-12 -12 -8 12 6 11 2 8 -4 0

National Panasonic RE-7273BS (Radio from 1962) (there is another, probably better simulation in group 3)
-12 -12 0 8 6 12 9 7 -12 -1 (should be mono)

----
Group two requires the ”DUX BASS” simulation. Insert the simulation Y like this:
-> Y -> ”DUX BASS” -> Out to Alesis, where Y is:

Flat (This is what my infamous EQd stereo speakers sound like):
12 -7 -5 1 3 6 6 4 -4 9

Panasonic TX-25T2C (About 10 year old TV set):
-12 -12 5 6 4 12 8 5 2 -5 (should be mono)

----
Group three requires the ”DUX MINI BASS” simulation. Insert the simulation Z like this:
-> Z -> ”DUX MINI BASS” -> Out to Alesis, where Z is:

Panasonic RX-FM15L (Small yellow stereo casette recorder I have by my bed). Done in the same room. Near.
-12 -12 -2 -1 8 6 7 8 1 -6

Another small stereo casette recorder, Sharp I think... Near. Done in the same room:
-12 -12 -12 3 7 7 9 9 6 6

Sanyo MCD-Z7F (Portable CD player, ”Boombox”, in the kitchen, a bit away:
-12 -12 -3 12 4 4 -3 2 -8 -10

National Panasonic RE-7273BS (Radio from 1962)
-12 -12 9 10 4 12 8 6 -12 -12 (should be mono)

Sanyo MCD-Z7F (Portable CD player, ”Boombox”, in the same room, near, with same mic placement (more or less independent of the room):
-12 -12 -2 8 4 6 7 9 1 -8

Philips CM8833-II (Computer monitor with stereo speakers);
-12 -12 -12 12 3 6 6 8 0 -8

---

That was all from the mad scientist for this time.... Everyone who has the Alesis M1 active Mk2 got something to play with for a while ;)

/Anders

IF..if I was to believe this, and thought I could make this "independant (almost) of my rooms acoustics"...what happens if my room is a different size than yours? Would this really still work? Or am I thinking out of my ass again. What do I know. I am a newbie.

Brutus

PS

Blue Bear...I gotta tell you man...you called it. I was at guitar center the other day with a friend farting around with a mackie d8b, and we were listening through the Event 20/20bas and KRK V8's, and while I know you had the 6" version of both, the KRK's had a much tighter sound than the Events. The events had too much of the lower mids than the KRKs. That is not to say they sounded bad, but the KRK's were better. Unfortunately I can only afford Event stuff....

I will never doubt again.

I fail to understand why anyone would want to do this "experiment". I mean, my m1's sound crappy enough... Why would I want to make them sound like a crappy boom box, or something equally as stupid?
You've got way too much free time Boray.

Back