Smartmedia/Boss br-532 Problems

Topher5150

OK I thought i'd give home recording a try with the Boss BR-532. I have everything (well I had everything) recorded and I powered the BR-532 off, took out the card and popped it in my Lexar card reader. When I try accessing the card I get "Card is not formatted". So I take the card out of the reader and then back in the 532 and sure enough it says the card must be initialized. Only thing I can think of is my computer is reformatting it automatically. I tried this more than once to make sure it didn't happen by chance and it does it everytime. I even tried using the Boss Wave converter but my PC reformats it before it can read it. Is there some sort of setting that I can change to fix this problem. My card reader is a Lexar RW009 USB. Lexar was no help as was Boss. Thank in Advance.

There is a problem with Windows and certain sizes of flash memory modules and certain chips in readers. I have a digital camera which comes up "not formatted" when connected by USB. If I take the card out of the camera and plug it into my no-name USB card reader - it works! This was a problem with a 64MB card - is that the size you have?

It's a Windows bug and Microsoft are not interested in fixing it any time soon.
I don't know why it's corrupting the memory as well in your case - you may have Windows disk indexing service writing to it and because of the format problem, it isn't doing it correctly.

I have the 32MB card. I can take the card out and put it in the reader and the computer recognizes that its in there, its just not formatted. And for some reason it formats it on its own and I lose everything. Maybe its the reader? I might try getting a new one to see if that'll fix it.

I have a similar problem. My BR-532 recognizes the card and writes songs on it. When I put the card in my computer the computer does not even recognize that the card has been inserted.

The boss can format and reformat the card, no problem. Sure wish the recorder just had a USB interface!

Back