Serious Problem w/SYNC: Using Both a 1680 and 1880 with Mixing Control on CuBase

rcs

Okay, here is the problem:

If you use both a 1680 and 1880 as a 34 track platform, and want to set up mixing contol on Cubase, there is no way to sync the set up, or visa versa (at least that I have found).

Here are the facts:

I have a 1680 and 1880 which I link for sound using the high speed data port. Additionally, I have CuBase VST which I use for initial sequencing. Also, since the midi data is located on CuBase, I use it as the sync platform during recording. CuBase and all synths and the 1680 and the 1880 are routed through a Midi-Man 8x8 midi device driver.

I have attempted to use CuBase's compu-mix to mix the 1680 and the 1880. The compu-mix function allows design of a virtual mixing console on the computer - this console can be used for real time fader control, and real time efx control. The problem arises when compu-mix is used at the same time you try and sync the 1680 and 1880 through Cubase's sync control.

Specifically, Cubase sends out sync data only through one midi port at a time. Therefore, for both the 1680 and the 1880 to be synced they must both receive sync data through the same port. But, the 1680 and the 1880 also have identical midi commands for mixing control, and these mixing controls, in virtually all cases, are hard wired to specific midi chanels rather then specified as more general sysex commands.

For example, both the 1680 and the 1880 have control of fader 1 on midi channel 1. So if you set up CuBase's compu-mix to make a fader control change on channel one, there is no way to control the 1680 and the 1880 separately. This prevents off board mixing on the 1680 and the 1880 if you want to also sync them (and I am not sure why you would not want them to be synced).

WHY ROLAND DID NOT SET UP CONSOLE CONTROL AS NON-CHANNEL SPECIFIC SYSEX MESSAGES - WHICH WOULD ALLOW YOU TO SET THE 1680 AND THE 1880 ON SEPERATE MIDI CHANNELS - IS BEYOND ME.

If anyone has any thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

RCS

(As always, I disavow all spelling and syntax errors in the above.)

Re: Vs-1880 roland mixer

I was wondering: do you KNOW where/what site I could find studioware for the VS 1880? Or better yet, do you know how to set up the VS 1880 as a control surface to Cakewalk Sonar 7 (for controlling faders, mixing, etc.)???

I've been trying and trying to do this for about 6 months straight, to no avail....

Your advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sincerely

Sascha Rurik > (MY eml addy is deported1997 on ya hooo)

Back