roland 2480

I've had my 2480 in my studio for 5 years and it's a great machine. As for basic info, you'll have to be more specific as this machine does ALOT of stuff very well. So....

-It records 16 tracks at a time with 24 tracks playback at a time, up to 48kHz. Up to 96kHz it's 8/12 tracks respectively, all in MTP Mode.

-It has 16 mic pre's with -20db pads, 8 XLR phantom powered/16 TRS inputs.

-16 assignable rotory pots that can be used as channel strip control as well as panning, etc.

-17 motorized faders- 16 channels and Master.

-Full automation, zoom editing.

-Mouse, keyboard and VGA monitor hookup.

How's that for a start?

Let me know about more specific questions and I'll help you as best as I can.

Lucio

LDT2 said:
I've had my 2480 in my studio for 5 years and it's a great machine. As for basic info, you'll have to be more specific as this machine does ALOT of stuff very well. So....

-It records 16 tracks at a time with 24 tracks playback at a time, up to 48kHz. Up to 96kHz it's 8/12 tracks respectively, all in MTP Mode.

-It has 16 mic pre's with -20db pads, 8 XLR phantom powered/16 TRS inputs.

-16 assignable rotory pots that can be used as channel strip control as well as panning, etc.

-17 motorized faders- 16 channels and Master.

-Full automation, zoom editing.

-Mouse, keyboard and VGA monitor hookup.

How's that for a start?

Let me know about more specific questions and I'll help you as best as I can.

Lucio

Does the 2480 do 24 track linear, or only in RDAC? I read somewhere that it is only a 16 track machine at 24 bit linear, 44.1 khz.

The 2480 does 24 track with RDAC up to 48kHz, 16 track linear up to 48kHz, but RDAC is a lossless compression. Some have said that they can hear the difference, but I think that it's more subliminal than anything else, because they know it's there so they feel that they can hear it. I personally have been using MTP Mode for 5 years and have been very happy with the results, as are my clients.

RDAC has been compared to the sound of analog tape upper harmomics, which they happen to make plugins to try to recreate in Pro Tools, etc. Bottom line, if you like a full warm sound, then you should be happy with the 2480, I know I am. If you prefer something more sterile then you'll probably want something else.

Hope that helps. Let me know.

Lucio

It was a simple question, one that didn't require your opinion on the quality of RDAC. I hear the difference, especially after bouncing, using this 'lossless' compression. There's a 'hollowness' there that I haven't heard in linear formats.

However, there are other 24 track SIAB out there that do 24 track 24 bit linear, and for Roland to market this as a 24 track 24 bit machine is a wee bit misleading.

MK-Ultra said:
It was a simple question, one that didn't require your opinion on the quality of RDAC. I hear the difference, especially after bouncing, using this 'lossless' compression. There's a 'hollowness' there that I haven't heard in linear formats.

However, there are other 24 track SIAB out there that do 24 track 24 bit linear, and for Roland to market this as a 24 track 24 bit machine is a wee bit misleading.

Sorry,

I didn't realize there was a restriction on a reply to a question that didn't state that there was an understanding of RDAC, or that you already had the machine, which really means you already knew the answer to your question.

And as for Roland's marketing, the 2480 does record 24 tracks at 24 bit, even if it uses RDAC to get it.

My apologies for not knowing your question was a bait.

Why is there such a hostile attitude on this site when people are just trying to help others out with their experience? Answer not required.

Back