Recording Live Concert Festival with BR-1600

tunesmith3000

I must record parts of a live outdoor concert with multiple acts on September 2 with a BR-1600 CD, 40 GB internal HD. We'll be running an 8 track feed from the live sound mixing board into the 8 inputs of the 1600. One track for a drum mix. The sound man will do sub-mixes for the feed. One track for lead vocals, one for BG vocals if needed, five or six tracks for instruments. I will export all the tracks as WAV files in sync to import into Pro Tools 10 session files later for mixing and mastering.

I am seeking any and all advice on the whole process. I am concerned about internal storage. According to Roland, I can expect to comfortably record 60 minutes of 8 track audio on each of the 1600's five 8 GB partitions. If that be true, then we have no problem. If we can record four hours of music without clearing the hard drive, great.

What say you all?

Thanks, Steve.

I have done ~4 hours, 8 tracks, WAV 48k/24 on a 32GB card with space left over, so you should be Ok. 16GB will fill up somewhere before 3hrs IME, but there are lots of tables around that should give you some confidence.

What's the record format, sample rate & bit depth?

I have done ~4 hours, 8 tracks, WAV 48k/24 on a 32GB card with space left over, so you should be Ok. 16GB will fill up somewhere before 3hrs IME, but there are lots of tables around that should give you some confidence.

What's the record format, sample rate & bit depth?

Whatever is native to the 1600. We could get perfectly fine sound qualtity at 44.1/24 bit or even 16 bit.

Back