Problem recording TD-3 (MIDI)

Will_R

Bass player, apparently
Hi,

We've been having a bit of trouble recording the drums for a demo.

We're using a Roland TD-3, running the MIDI out to the MIDI in of a Presonus Firepod, and using Cubase for recording.

It works, and then it will just stop, it seems pretty randomly occuring, that the MIDI track will just stop registering any more hits, even tho it is still recording.

Anyone know what the problem is or could be?

Should we be running another MIDI cable from the MIDI out of the firepod to the MIDI in of the drums or something? Ive been told it could be something about timestamping? But i dont know.

I hope this is the right forum for this Q as its roland related, if not, please feel free to move it :)

We have worked around it before, by whenever it happens restarting cubase, but it is getting annoying when we are loosing good drum takes because its cutting out!

Cheers

-Will

Wow - that is wierd.

I've got the TD-6, and midi lots with it.

My only (really lame) suggestion would be...... could you try another software or another MIDI interface?

Just to troubleshoot I mean.....

Grab a copy of REAPER and try to record with that, just for the hell of it. If it does the same thing in REAPER, you can elimate your DAW software, and move on to the interface.

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

You can buy cheap USB MIDI interface devices starting in the $39 range, I believe.

Hi,

We've been having a bit of trouble recording the drums for a demo.

We're using a Roland TD-3, running the MIDI out to the MIDI in of a Presonus Firepod, and using Cubase for recording.

It works, and then it will just stop, it seems pretty randomly occuring, that the MIDI track will just stop registering any more hits, even tho it is still recording.

Anyone know what the problem is or could be?

Should we be running another MIDI cable from the MIDI out of the firepod to the MIDI in of the drums or something? Ive been told it could be something about timestamping? But i dont know.

I hope this is the right forum for this Q as its roland related, if not, please feel free to move it :)

We have worked around it before, by whenever it happens restarting cubase, but it is getting annoying when we are loosing good drum takes because its cutting out!

Cheers

-Will

Ill try tomorrow, cheers :)

So i dont need to use the MIDI in on the drum kit and the MIDI out on the firepod?

I think it goes

(DRUM KIT) -- midi out -- to -- midi in -- (FIREPOD) -------> Computer

Make sense ?

You don't need to MIDI INTO the drums right now at all.

You would only MIDI INTO the drums, if you wanted some other controller to play the sounds of the drums.

(ie: Use a keyboard to trigger the drum samples)

Ill try tomorrow, cheers :)

So i dont need to use the MIDI in on the drum kit and the MIDI out on the firepod?

Can you record TD'3 via midi and go directly to the stereo track of a BR studio. I need step by step instructions cuz I suck. Thanks if you guys can help.

Midi is just the performance.

Record the midi into a computer.

Then use a program such as BFD, Drums from Hell, Addictive Drums, etc. to tie the Midi to the audio.

(For every little Midi note that is recorded, an equivalent audio wave will be played)

You can then record the audio produced by the drum software, from the computer, and into the BR studio.

Sorry if this is confusing, but feel free to ask for more information, and I can try to explain all this for you.

Do you have a basic understanding of Midi ?

Can you record TD'3 via midi and go directly to the stereo track of a BR studio. I need step by step instructions cuz I suck. Thanks if you guys can help.

Do you have a basic understanding of Midi ?

All that I understand(correct me if I am wrong of course) is that midi is the middle man for two different programs to connect. You have a master, which would be the TD3 in this case and the slave which would be my DAW.
Take this paragraph and fix it for me mister teacher man...thanks! Once I understand this we'll move on to the next lesson.

Your TD3 will perform the midi.

Midi is a bunch of little "blips" on a grid.

The little "blips" or notes, represent everytime you hit a drum or press a key on a midi piano.

Midi is really smart though....... not only does it know you hit the snare drum, it knows how hard you hit it too. (Velocity).

Recording the TD3's midi into your BR will do nothing. (As far as I know - someone correct me if I am wrong)

What you want to do (and this is very worthwhile - so do it !!!) is record the midi into your home computer. Buy a USB to MIDI interface, and record the MIDI into a program such as REAPER, Cubase, etc.

Then, you can use Drum Kit From Hell, or BFD.

Drum Kit from Hell and BFD read you "MIDI MAP" or "MIDI PERFORMANCE".

Sounds are tied to the midi notes.

When you had hit the snare hard - those programs play a wave file, or sample, of a snare drum being hit hard.

The samples from DKFH and BFD are very high resolution, and very well recorded - so the drums end up sounding great.

Get your self a midi interface for the computer, and google yourself some demo's of these drum plugin's. You will be well on your way.

Once you tweak the midi performance, and the sounds from the software, you can produce a stereo audio file, in which you can play into (of download it) your BR unit.

I love the BR units by the way.

And I own the Roland TD-6, and use it's MIDI capabilities all the time.

All that I understand(correct me if I am wrong of course) is that midi is the middle man for two different programs to connect. You have a master, which would be the TD3 in this case and the slave which would be my DAW.
Take this paragraph and fix it for me mister teacher man...thanks! Once I understand this we'll move on to the next lesson.

i've had this same problem with my TD3 as well. cept i had it with my deta 1010 midi in. my firepod tended to work well with the td3 - i wonder what the hell it is then????

mine would just record the first maybe ... 20 seconds of the midi track - then just STOP out of nowhere.

Back