The Official BOSS BR-800 Thread

I have a question...I've got a BR 900 CD but want more mic inputs. If I add say a 12 channel mixer, do I need some sort of phantom power besides the built in phantom power of the BR 900 to run condenser mic's through the external mixer? Thanks for any help you can give...Roy

Maybe just a handshake.:laughings:

Tracks 1-4 are mono tracks. If you record a stereo track (dual mono, actually) on tracks 1 and 2, you can put a loop effect (reverb, delay, e q etc) on one track only. Press the "track" button, then reverb. A little mixer will pop up, you can control the amount of reverb on each track. You can't use tracks 5/6 7/8 as they are stereo tracks with one bus, but tracks 1-4 will do it.

did that ,dry in one track ,wet/dry in the other ,need dry in one track (Panned hard ,.the other track.nothing but completely wet ,.. both panned hard opposite sides ) I really like this sound for slow clean melodic instrumentals . The one thing I did not try was recording in tracks 5,6,7, or 8 ,perhaps that might have worked but I took it back this morning .

Just the same I will be back here ,seems like a nice place . In the meantime I have what I was using b4 the 600 , a lowly ZOOM MRS 4 I think its called and it DOES the dry/wet trick I am fixated on . Thanks , and I offer you a hearty handclasp.

Tried recording in two tracks and doing what you say ,the result is dry in one track,wet and dry in the other .When you record in one track and add reverb it does reverberate to the other side when panned hard ,but the reverb is also in the side its panned to so it sounds muddy to me .The delay doesnt even go to the other side . Also punch in/out is a pain its much more difficult with this than the old 600. I am seriously considering taking the 800 back unless I can get true stereo delay/reverb .I was just getting the hang of getting a beautiful clean Strat sound doing this . Ive still got a week .

If you have the same signal on the left and right, it isn't stereo - its 2X mono. I'm not following your reverb '1-side only' thing at all. If you put reverb on a mono track, you have a mono track with reverb. If you put it on a 2X mono(stereo) track, you have a 2X mono track with 2X mono reverb. If you put it on a true stereo track, you have 'stereo' reverb (not really, as true stereo reverb is a lot trickier that that, requiring some neat routing tricks and a couple of stereo reverb plug-ins.

If you have the same signal on the left and right, it isn't stereo - its 2X mono. I'm not following your reverb '1-side only' thing at all. If you put reverb on a mono track, you have a mono track with reverb. If you put it on a 2X mono(stereo) track, you have a 2X mono track with 2X mono reverb. If you put it on a true stereo track, you have 'stereo' reverb (not really, as true stereo reverb is a lot trickier that that, requiring some neat routing tricks and a couple of stereo reverb plug-ins.
I think he wants a pannable reverb. There's a way to do this, it just takes a lil extra work:

1. Have one of the mono tracks panned center, with reverb on.
2. Solo the track and do a mixdown with only that track (and reverb).
3. Bring the mixdown track back into the project.

Since the track is now printed, the reverb will pan with the track.

I have a question...I've got a BR 900 CD but want more mic inputs. If I add say a 12 channel mixer, do I need some sort of phantom power besides the built in phantom power of the BR 900 to run condenser mic's through the external mixer? Thanks for any help you can give...Roy

You need phantom power on every mic that needs it. It won't power a mixer.

You need phantom power on every mic that needs it. It won't power a mixer.

I think he wants to power mics plugged into the mixer with the phantom power from the recorder. That won't work. The mixer has to have phantom power ability.

Hi....is it possible to remove recorded sound from the beginning and ending of a recording..? using scrub tool? thanks ian

Got it. Mixer has to have phantom power like my 900 does. I'll make sure the one I buy has it..........Thanks 2 u both for the help.

Hi...I'm trying to improve my EQ knowledge...the options on the BR800 menu are a bit of a mystery to me!...any comments on general settings to be getting on with?..What should I be doing with say Bass guitar.../ rhythm / lead etc......Any ideas for improvement welcome....Ian

Hi...I'm trying to improve my EQ knowledge...the options on the BR800 menu are a bit of a mystery to me!...any comments on general settings to be getting on with?..What should I be doing with say Bass guitar.../ rhythm / lead etc......Any ideas for improvement welcome....Ian

To get to the EQ, press "track" and then you'll see it. The first page of the menu is a simple off/on for each track. Press enter to get to the second page.

Your choices on the second page are low, mid, hi gain, and lo/mid/ hi frequency: Gain basically means "increase" (or decrease), so you can raise it or lower it. If you lower it, you'll see -1 etc. They go together, so low gain will turn your low frequency number up or down. (Not the number itself, the amount of gain at that particular frequency).

Frequency can relate to pitches. When an orchestra tunes up, they tune to A=440. That's also called "hertz" (hz). On a piano, 440 hz is the A below middle C. An octave higher would be 880hz, an octave lower would be 220hz. One has to know where (roughly) the musical notes live on the frequency/hz scale. Here's a good chart to study (middle of the page): Digital Pathways Audio A: Frequency, Amplitude and EQ

What all this means to you: if a cymbal has a harsh sound, the harshness might be around 3K. On the BR, you would turn the High Freq to 3.15K (it goes in steps on the BR), and then turn the High gain down. It goes by db, so minus 1 is a little bit, minus two is more etc. In general, subtractive will be more helpful to you than additive, as you want to remove unwanted things like harshness. On the low end, a bass can be boomy, so you would use the low freq., figure out where it is boomy, and then you would turn down the low gain there.

That's a very simple explanation. The BR eq is extremely limited, so think of it as an "emergency" tool. If a guitar sound is really piercing, you'll turn down the high freq. Sometimes, you'll have a midrange instrument like violin, which doesn't go that low. However, there is noise that you might not realize in the low end. If you have many tracks, the noise will create mud, so you'll want to eq some of the low end out. The BR isn't the right machine to do that, but that's not really a concern for you at this point. Worry about harshness and boom.:D

I just checked my BR, and each track has it's own eq ( I never use it so I didn't know that). That's good. So, on page one you select the track you want, and on page 2 you adjust frquencies.

Hi, no 64 bit drivers for my Edirol UR80 so need some new hardware.
Just to check my understanding please; The BR800 acts as a soundcard and controller for Cubase thus allowing direct input to Cubase of microphone or guitar, if desired, bypassing the recording functions on the BR800 itself?
It is clear that the faders control the Cubase mixer and the transport buttons do similar but the above is just a little unclear. Just trying to decide between the R16 and Boss BR800 and a search threw this thread up on this important issue. Your help much appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike.

Just to check my understanding please; The BR800 acts as a soundcard and controller for Cubase thus allowing direct input to Cubase of microphone or guitar, if desired, bypassing the recording functions on the BR800 itself?

Correct, the Boss can act like any 2 output interface. You choose either guitar or mic on the Boss, then choose left, right or stereo on the DAW track. One can turn the effects on or off easily, so you can record dry or with Boss effects. When effects are on, there is a green light on the unit, so it's easy to see if they are on or off.

The Boss only has one channel of Phantom Power, so be aware. AFAIK, it is only 2 in/2 out in interface mode, so if you have two keyboards hooked up to 1/2 and 3/4, it will only work with one of them. I haven't tried that but I'm pretty sure it is the case.

It is clear that the faders control the Cubase mixer and the transport buttons do similar but the above is just a little unclear. Just trying to decide between the R16 and Boss BR800 and a search threw this thread up on this important issue. Your help much appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike.

I'm pretty sure the faders and transport buttons DO NOT control Cubase.

I'm pretty sure the faders and transport buttons DO NOT control Cubase.

They work with Sonar. One has to set their software to "Mackie Control", which is somewhat universal. I don't know if Cubase has this option or not. With Sonar, 6 faders work, plus the master fader. The transport works, as well as solo tracks. The rewind/fast forward moves the fader groups up or down. There is no panning or ways to control anything else, so I found it to be a noveltly that wears off pretty quickly.

Back