using just the BR-800.
    * You must install the USB driver before you connect
    the BR-800 to your computer (p. 118).
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks

Custom Pattern Woes

mjbphotos,

I'm not sure whether your latest post was in response to my question. Maybe not since it doesn't really speak to the question. If it was, then I should point out that I did CREATE the patterns using the PC software and that I'm not trying to create them on the BOSS. I want to USE them on the BR-800, however, and that's where the problem lies. The custom patterns, created on my PC with Rhythm Editor and subsequently written to the BR-800, are not usable in songs.

Thanks
    Yes, I was responding to you! It looks like you have to create the rhythm arrangements on your computer, then import the whole thing to the Boss BR800.

Thanks
    I think we're not understanding each other. If you don't mind re-reading my posts I think you will see what I am asking. Thank you for your time in any case.

Regards

Thanks
    I read your original post, maybe you didn't express yourself correctly?
    OK, you made a custom pattern in the software - how are you trying to use this - are you trying to program it into an arrangement in the BR800, or in the software? From what I can read you need to create the arrangement in your software, including the new custom pattern(s). From what you posted: the pattern is there - I can switch between it and one other custom pattern as well as any preset pattern within one particular song, but any other existing or new songs will not accept it as a valid pattern it sounds like you are trying to put the pattern into the song arrangements in the BR800, rather than create the full song arrangements in the software.

Thanks
    mjbphotos

Thank you for continuing this with me.

I am not really trying to make an arrangement as of yet.

My goal is simpler: to use a custom pattern - say a 2 measure 3/4 pattern - as one might use any of the pre-programmed BR800 patterns. i.e., I'd want to be able to select my custom pattern to be used in any future songs that I create.

Say I create a new song and decide to use a drum pattern. I push the Rhythm button and that shows the menu from which we can select the pattern that I want to use. I scroll though to the custom pattern that I have written to the BR800, and I select that. As it is now, when I select one of my custom patterns, I get no sound, and the BR800 acts as though there's no data, even though I have written the pattern to the unit.

I think I don't understand how the BR800 sees custom patterns. It seems to me that it would look at a custom pattern, which has been written into its memory, as it would look at any of its built-in patterns. But the way this is behaving, it doesn't seem to treat custom patterns as it does preset patterns. I'm having a hard time accepting this, if it is true, because it makes absolutely no sense to me and seems to be in complete contradiction to the "ease of use" angle being promoted by Roland.

Anyway, I hope I've been able to make clear what I'm after and where my confusion lies.

Thanks
    I see what you are trying to do, you can't do it. You can only use custom patterns in the software (on your computer) to make arrangements. You can't use the built-in arranger on the BR800 to use them.

Thanks
    So in order for me to utilize a 3/4 pattern that I previously created for one song in a different song, I have to re-create it from scratch and re-write it to the BR-800? (Is that really how bad the design is?)

Is there any way for me to at least copy it over without re-creating it note by note?

Thanks
    I don't have a BR800, and never created patterns for my BR600, but what I can gather from teh manual is that new patterns need to be created in the rhythm editor software provided on your computer, not in the BOSS unit. I don't know how these patterns are stored in the software, but would think you can store them for recall in a new arrangement. You have to do the whole arrangement in the software, then export that from the computer - imported into the BR800.

Thanks
    mjbphotos, Thanks again for your help understanding some of this. Unfortunately, the more I understand, the less I like the design.

I still would like to know how I can copy custom patterns/arrangements from one song to another rather than re-doing them from scratch. Does anyone know how this is accomplished?

Thread Information