Rhythm Editor,” refer to “ReadmeEN.txt” on the
“BR-800 DVD-ROM.”
* You won’t be able to create patterns or drum kits
using just the BR-800.
* You must install the USB driver before you connect
the BR-800 to your computer (p. 118).

Custom Pattern Woes

mjbphotos,

I'm not sure whether your latest post was in response to my question. Maybe not since it doesn't really speak to the question. If it was, then I should point out that I did CREATE the patterns using the PC software and that I'm not trying to create them on the BOSS. I want to USE them on the BR-800, however, and that's where the problem lies. The custom patterns, created on my PC with Rhythm Editor and subsequently written to the BR-800, are not usable in songs.

Yes, I was responding to you! It looks like you have to create the rhythm arrangements on your computer, then import the whole thing to the Boss BR800.

I think we're not understanding each other. If you don't mind re-reading my posts I think you will see what I am asking. Thank you for your time in any case.

Regards

I read your original post, maybe you didn't express yourself correctly?
OK, you made a custom pattern in the software - how are you trying to use this - are you trying to program it into an arrangement in the BR800, or in the software? From what I can read you need to create the arrangement in your software, including the new custom pattern(s). From what you posted: the pattern is there - I can switch between it and one other custom pattern as well as any preset pattern within one particular song, but any other existing or new songs will not accept it as a valid pattern it sounds like you are trying to put the pattern into the song arrangements in the BR800, rather than create the full song arrangements in the software.

mjbphotos

Thank you for continuing this with me.

I am not really trying to make an arrangement as of yet.

My goal is simpler: to use a custom pattern - say a 2 measure 3/4 pattern - as one might use any of the pre-programmed BR800 patterns. i.e., I'd want to be able to select my custom pattern to be used in any future songs that I create.

Say I create a new song and decide to use a drum pattern. I push the Rhythm button and that shows the menu from which we can select the pattern that I want to use. I scroll though to the custom pattern that I have written to the BR800, and I select that. As it is now, when I select one of my custom patterns, I get no sound, and the BR800 acts as though there's no data, even though I have written the pattern to the unit.

I think I don't understand how the BR800 sees custom patterns. It seems to me that it would look at a custom pattern, which has been written into its memory, as it would look at any of its built-in patterns. But the way this is behaving, it doesn't seem to treat custom patterns as it does preset patterns. I'm having a hard time accepting this, if it is true, because it makes absolutely no sense to me and seems to be in complete contradiction to the "ease of use" angle being promoted by Roland.

Anyway, I hope I've been able to make clear what I'm after and where my confusion lies.

I see what you are trying to do, you can't do it. You can only use custom patterns in the software (on your computer) to make arrangements. You can't use the built-in arranger on the BR800 to use them.

So in order for me to utilize a 3/4 pattern that I previously created for one song in a different song, I have to re-create it from scratch and re-write it to the BR-800? (Is that really how bad the design is?)

Is there any way for me to at least copy it over without re-creating it note by note?

I don't have a BR800, and never created patterns for my BR600, but what I can gather from teh manual is that new patterns need to be created in the rhythm editor software provided on your computer, not in the BOSS unit. I don't know how these patterns are stored in the software, but would think you can store them for recall in a new arrangement. You have to do the whole arrangement in the software, then export that from the computer - imported into the BR800.

mjbphotos, Thanks again for your help understanding some of this. Unfortunately, the more I understand, the less I like the design.

I still would like to know how I can copy custom patterns/arrangements from one song to another rather than re-doing them from scratch. Does anyone know how this is accomplished?

Unless the rhythm editing software allows you to do this (have two arrangements open and copy and paste form one to the other), you can't. Using just the Boss recorder each arrangement must be created from scratch - if you make any changes to it, then it has written over the original one, you cannot save it to a new name.

Wow, that is one truly glaring design flaw. I hope Roland is aware of this limitation and will correct it with an update soon. As I've posted in another site, this limitation is like a word processor not allowing one to copy and paste text. Pretty silly, eh?

Did you ever see the old Smith Corona stand-alone Word Processors? Exactly like them (no cut and pasting between documents). The rhythm machine in the BR recorders is designed exactly like its DR series of stand-alone rhythmers. Use software and your computer to do the real work these days.

Hi...just a query please...am I correct in saying that when I use, say, a guitar part from a "patch" ...any effects...say, echo/reverb stay with this part...and can't be edited later...whereas, using echo/reverb/EQ....with the "track" option....means these can be added/edited when whole song has been assembled?

And...does this mean if I use echo/reverb with a "patch" effect.....will adding same with "Track" mean echoing an echo....reverbing reverb?......whats the best way to manage this...? hope this makes sence...Ian

Hi...just a query please...am I correct in saying that when I use, say, a guitar part from a "patch" ...any effects...say, echo/reverb stay with this part...and can't be edited later...whereas, using echo/reverb/EQ....with the "track" option....means these can be added/edited when whole song has been assembled?

And...does this mean if I use echo/reverb with a "patch" effect.....will adding same with "Track" mean echoing an echo....reverbing reverb?......whats the best way to manage this...? hope this makes sence...Ian

Sorry if this is a duplicate post!!

hi, n00b here

i got the boss br-800 digital recorder a couple of weeks back, and i'm mostly pretty happy with it. it's not quite as powerful as i would have hoped, but i'm only just starting out doing home recording so there wasn't any point in starting off at the top end if my early enthusiasm all just fizzled out

anyhoo, as i say, i'm mostly happy with it, but the USB connection is pitifully slow. i'm running a decent spec pc, windows7, and other USB links (such as to the Boss Loop Station, for instance) work fine, but the connection to the BR-800 is like wading through treacle, so much so that it's hardly worth using. uploading a mastered 3 minute song to the wave converter takes fifteen minutes or so, and the br-800 continually shows "idling" instead of "now accessing"

i wonder if anyone else has experienced the same problems, and if so, whether they've found any solutions? after reading some posts on the subject on a different forum i tried changing "Policies" from "Quick Removal" to "Better Performance", but that made little if any difference

any suggestions gratefully received

in case it's of any help to anyone else suffering the same problem, i eventually tried plugging the thing into one of the sneaky little USB ports hidden round the back of my pc, and...

...success

sooooo, altthough i'm able to quite happily use the other USB connections for backups or connecting to the Boss LoopStation or whatever, the BR-800 obviously needs a specific type of USB connection (i guess 3.0 or mebbe even 2.0?) in order to function properly

Hi everyone,

Hope you had a nice summer. I haven't had a lot of time to make any music in a few months. Last song I recorded was in... March? Yikes!

Here's the latest project I've been working on. And for the records: all tracks were recorded and mixed on the BR-800. I used a Danelectro 59-DC for accoustic (simulation) rhythm guitars (track 1 & 2), a Fender Am Strat for lead guitar (track 7 and 8), bass (track 3) and other guitar effects (track 4), and a Korg Karma Workstation for the organ track near the end (track 5 & 6). Please excuse the sloppy playing. It's been a while like I said. Hope you enjoy!

The Best of Fools - The Walk on ReverbNation

Ben

hi, n00b here

i got the boss br-800 digital recorder a couple of weeks back, and i'm mostly pretty happy with it. it's not quite as powerful as i would have hoped, but i'm only just starting out doing home recording so there wasn't any point in starting off at the top end if my early enthusiasm all just fizzled out

anyhoo, as i say, i'm mostly happy with it, but the USB connection is pitifully slow. i'm running a decent spec pc, windows7, and other USB links (such as to the Boss Loop Station, for instance) work fine, but the connection to the BR-800 is like wading through treacle, so much so that it's hardly worth using. uploading a mastered 3 minute song to the wave converter takes fifteen minutes or so, and the br-800 continually shows "idling" instead of "now accessing"

i wonder if anyone else has experienced the same problems, and if so, whether they've found any solutions? after reading some posts on the subject on a different forum i tried changing "Policies" from "Quick Removal" to "Better Performance", but that made little if any difference

any suggestions gratefully received

I haven't had any problems with the WAVE Converter or USB efficiency. I connect the BR-800 to my laptop first, then I open the WAVE Converter. It usually takes about 45sec to 1 min for each track to transfer, depending on the size of each track.

Back