Moving a project from VS1680 to Pro Tools

jerryj

Hi all, new member here...

I'm producing a church CD project that is going to be initially recorded on-site using a VS-1680 then taken back to my Digi 002 Pro Tools home studio for mixdown and mastering.

I'm wondering what would be the best way of moving the project from the 1680 into Pro Tools. From the research I've done it doesn't look like the 1680 has the ability to export tracks in .WAV format (started with the 2480).

At this point, I see only two options.

1.) Play the tracks back on the 1680 while recording with Pro Tools using the S/PDIF out of the 1680 (can only do 2 tracks at a time--very time consuming), or

2.) Play the tracks back on the 1680 while recording with Pro Tools using the 6 (?) analog outputs on the 1680 (which requires a D-> A -> D conversion and might degrade signal quality).

Anybody got any other ideas? Thanks!!

Yeah, those options look about right. Either way you can get the 1680 tracks into the Digi 002 .... but I'd do the SPDIF thing. I have a VS880, did transfers both ways and can vouch for those DA converters not being that great. I think the 880 has 18-bit and 1680 has 20-bit, not sure ... still it'll pale in comparison to digital, especially stacking tracks with that.

Have you considered just taking your computer and Digi002 down to record? It ain't the most portable solution, but I recorded my band's demo that way ... worked out OK ...

Back